Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders

This is a public thread. So please do NOT include personal information of who's done the job, where it's been done, etc. Only include information related to the workmanship. What's been done wrong, what should have been done, how the repair has gone on, etc.

Upload pictures of poor workmanship by DIYers and rogue "tradesmen" to this thread. We have another thread in the arms which we will move posts to here by request. If you have pictures uploaded to the thread in the arms and would like the pictures added to here, please let one of the staff know.

Last edited:
E

enduro

Here you go. 10 cracked Travertine tiles in a floor due to bad tiling. Travertine floor-Tunbridge wells 001.jpg Travertine floor-Tunbridge wells 005.jpg Travertine floor-Tunbridge wells 007.jpg Travertine floor-Tunbridge wells 009.jpg Travertine floor-Tunbridge wells 010.jpg

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one.

I thought somebody must have seen something somewhere :)

B

Bubblecraft

Bubble were the tiles blown or loose ? or had this fixing method worked just out of interest ??

The ones around the pan were cracked but the rest were fine & so was the grout. TBH, it took me HOURS to get them up. They were a nightmare!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bubblecraft

And there was this one. Guy started @ 9am & was still there @ 10.30pm that night to do 4m2. This is the result the customer got:
una3asu2.jpg
4ypyqe3u.jpg

After removal of the tiles I noticed some areas were packed to at least 25mm with ready mixed addy. The plasterboard had been attempted to be stuck to the brick wall with a 50mm cavity with ready mixed too.
u5ymymy8.jpg
eje3uqy3.jpg
bu9avema.jpg

He stuck the tiles to painted existing tiles
puhadagy.jpg
amupyty7.jpg

I started @ 9am, removed both sets of tiles, re-sheeted, tiled, grouted & siliconed by 3pm. God knows what he was doing to be there that length of time. Customer even bought him a chippy @ 7pm as they felt bad for him.

Heres the end result with Milford Cream I think it was
henutuhu.jpg
4yqebu6e.jpg
tuda6uvy.jpg
meha3aja.jpg
uduqaneg.jpg
tepuby5u.jpg
y6evy3am.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamond Pool Finishers

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
i know that Blob fixing or dot/dab or whatever you like to call it, is frowned -on and not -up to BS, but it's equally still not illegal to fix like this it's just another way to fix tile ( i and most on here would never dream of fixing like this ) but as said i think it allowable !!! technically .......

B

Bubblecraft

No way. Ha

Couldn't believe it either but boy were they stuck. SDS was no good as the silicone took the impact so had to smash it into a million pieces & dig in with a Mutt & 150mm Hamilton

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not good. I bet they didn't sound as hollow as you'd assume either then. Silicone would take the impact from the coin test too and make it sound a bit duller than you'd get with adhesive.

Suprised the grout held up though. It's a vote of confidence for whatever make that was!

B

Bubblecraft

They didn't sound hollow at all. Even at the pan where they were cracked. I had priced to uplift them if fitted the correct way or near enough. Normally would have had it all up in about half an hour. Took me a whole day! Couldn't even let the customer know as he was abroad so just I took the hit on it.

The grout must have been mixed with a latex to hold up to that

I

Ian

I've posted these before I think, dot and dab over UFH, 1200x600 porcelains. Was only there to replace a couple of loose tiles, ended up ripping the lot up and starting fresh.

ene5apab.jpg

e8yhyna9.jpg

bazynu6e.jpg

B

Bubblecraft

Yikes. That's nasty. Did you manage to salvage the UFH with a SLC or was it ruined?

I

Ian

They were put down in 2008, customer bought the house last March, I found the house on Zoopla and they paid 950k for it, there is approx 300 m2 of tiling all fitted like this, it's only a matter of time before it all fails.

Tony73

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
no using trowel under vanity unit , toilet.... just little dots of adhesive :mad2:. Cheap ply screwed on few screws (drywall screws), some floor boards not fixed. So i ripped everything off, and started again :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I have a few pics of cowboy workmanship...

This couple show how NOT to install sensor in UFH..

tiling pics 041.jpg

tiling pics 043.jpg

Tony73

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
i would use more of that tape, to stick ufc down :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

i would use more of that tape, to stick ufc down :lol:

D

DHTiling

Did you have to sort that out for them Dave? At least it didn't get tiled over, or did it????!!!!!!

It was for a company that is now B/rupt... they argued it was ok and said tile it.. :) .. so SLC over it and tiled.. what happened after that god knows :lol: ..

D

DHTiling

This one is on going , so yet to be resolved...cannot say anymore than that but i have it to lift and relay if it goes ahead , after getting the cowboy who laid it to cough up.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

check out the polished skirt edges ..NOT!!! .. :lol:

IMAG0313.jpg

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
This customer was charged £3k for tiling alone in this bathroom by a builder. As I understand it it it still ongoing as to to payment and the remedy for all the problems.

This is just a sample of photos I took when I had to give an opinion on it. I told them they really needed to rip the whole lot out at the builders cost.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo4.jpg photo5.jpg photo6.jpg

Apologies for the creak in the neck after looking at these :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

They are classic don't have a clue about tiling pics John, deffo a descendant of John wayne . :lol:

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Line 'em up barman, the horse is tied up outside :lol:

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer