Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

brownin

We could dedicate a whole thread to pub toilets. Pretty sure they cop most of the worst tiling!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just been to look at a job. This is a bathroom that was completed just before Xmas 2012, all work carried out by builder.

No silicon between tray and tiles just grout, no silicon between cubicle frame and tray, massive gaps around edge of room filled with grout and then covered in parts with silicon. 1 tile running at 90 degrees in front of shower tray to rest of floor. Notched out tiles where pipes are. joints up to 15mm where walls meet. Tiles not following profile of shower tray. Grout cracking and popping out of joints.
View attachment 50558 Bath1.jpg Bath3.jpg Bath4.jpg Bath5.jpg Bath6.jpg Bath7.jpg Bath8.jpg

Attachments

• Bath2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 419

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
are the floor tiles loose as well..? looks a right mess, still it lasted nearly 3 months, thats a new record for a builder...:lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
are the floor tiles loose as well..? looks a right mess, still it lasted nearly 3 months, thats a new record for a builder...:lol:

The tiles are not loose yet, but I would say it won't be long before they're rocking Andy!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's got to get an award for one of the thickest beads of silicone ever used!!

That's not a bead Pete, I think he must have had some silicon left on his hands when he fitted the toilet and thought I'll just wipe it on the wall, sausage fingers!!! :lol:

I

ianflem

Here's a few ...."Tiler" legged it when a second opinion was requested:

IMAG1126.jpg IMAG1126.jpg IMAG1127.jpg IMAG1130.jpg IMAG1131.jpg IMAG1132.jpg

This guy even had a cracking website lol...Pitty about the waste of porcs ! Only bonus was the majority of tiles had been
stuck with tubbed so were easily removed & cleaned. Check the swerve it thw mosaic shower run !!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Floor is coming up on Thursday. Customer getting new tiles and we'll have a go at fitting them properly. Wish I could do the walls as well but his budget won't go that far

Reaction score
I find the current climate to be causing a lot of penny pinching, but these cowboy so called 'tilers' make it that much harder for the likes of us.
I am curious as too how these RogueCowboy's get the job?!

Should they not be named and shamed with there own folder on this Forum?

I

Ian

I find the current climate to be causing a lot of penny pinching, but these cowboy so called 'tilers' make it that much harder for the likes of us.
I am curious as too how these RogueCowboy's get the job?!

Should they not be named and shamed with there own folder on this Forum?

It would be a legal nightmare to name and shame. If only we could.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I lost a job tiling a kitchen 5m2 I was beaten by £20 less than my price and he was just a handyman/flatpacker so it looks as if customers are looking for the cheapest job I dont think they are concerned about how much skill the tiler has got, just think they are penny pinching so if they get a bad job then tough I,ve had a few come back eating humble pie and it ends up costing them more than my first price.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The floor that I posted 4 weeks ago has now come up.

Tiles came up easy. 6mm trowel used and dot n dab, no back buttering, 3mm ply fixed down with 45mm screws (No pipes hit luckily). Lifted first row of tiles and rest came up easy, there was standing water under tiles and ply was already rotten and mouldy. This bathroom was done 3 months ago.

The floor is actually perfectly flat and level so I've no idea why they dot 'n dabbed in places.

Floor1.jpg Floor2.jpg Floor3.jpg Floor4.jpg
Floor5.jpg

And the standing water was from the shower frame that wasn't sealed to the tray and corner that didn't have any silicon

Last edited:

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks