Search the forum,

Discuss mitre joints on marble? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pursedog

hi guys,

i'm currently working on a hi-spec house in mayfair and the client wants all joints to be mitre joints.
the tiles are marble and are 600x300. my current cutter is not up to the job as it is too small and the resulting cuts are hit and miss.

need to speak to the site manager tomorrow so he can get something over which is able to deliver a perfect cut.

any advice on what i should be using?

W

White Room

I'd want to be using a bridge cutter like the rubi DW200 or 250, Check the sponser Tradetiler on the list on the right hand side

D

David - Tradetiler

I would advise the Rubi DS-230-LPS on our web site

It has micro adjustment on the back of the table to alter the square of the mitre - saves a lot of frustration. Nice solid machine - avoids excess chipping etc

Is a bit pricy though

last one on the list: TradeTiler.Ltd Wet Saws

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would advise the Rubi DS-230-LPS on our web site

It has micro adjustment on the back of the table to alter the square of the mitre - saves a lot of frustration. Nice solid machine - avoids excess chipping etc

Is a bit pricy though

last one on the list: TradeTiler.Ltd Wet Saws

:whatchutalkingabout FFS your not kidding

You also have to be built like Fatima Whitbread to lift the F%*$ing thing out of ya van :grin::grin:

D

David - Tradetiler

for mitres it is so much better than a DW type Rubi

"hi-spec house in mayfair"... Might be enough money in it to get the proper tools to get the proper results

One trick I have seen to lessen the weight is undo the two main overhead swing pivot bolts, take off the whole rail/motor part then take off the table from bed. You then have a cutter in easy to move pieces. Takes about 5 mins to undo/redo

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Branty

If you're doing alot of that kind of work, thats not a big price to pay. I used a big German machine last year. £6k's worth of cutter.

H

hillhead

My sigma 10M water saw can mitre like nothing normal,sweet as a nut.
heavy bugger too but when you have a helper its no prob.lifted it out once myself before but said no more,have to look after my back and all.

G

Grace'sDad

I bought my first quality bridge saw, and felt the same way I do about my washboy - how did I struggle by without it?!

If you are doing quality stone jobs even just occasionally - invest in a decent saw. The time saved will pay for the saw within a few jobs.

P

pursedog

cheers for the replies.
is a lot to pay out but like you say it will pay for itself in the not too distant future.
rubi looks like the best bet, prob shld get the diamant dw-200-nl .... collecting tile cutters like fcking panini stickers these days!!!!!!!

M

MICK the Tiler

you dont mitre marble !!!
the correct way is to step butt the corner by 2/3 mm

Tell that to the architech where I'm working I have tried myself, but the guy is just a D*ckhead :mad2: I'm with You PJ a well constructed polished butt joint looks like Pure Class IMO. :thumbsup:

M

MICK the Tiler

Why is that PJ? is it because it is too brittle?

To answer your question Charlie although Pj will have his own thoughts, Marble is soft yet dense and can indeed be mitered and in fact can be shaped into anything you like if you are skilled enough (Look at the statue of David), the problem arises where the very fine edge near the end of the miter, it will look great for a while, but bathrooms are useable spaces where things get bumped and knocked and eventually the edge will chip over time. Unlike the statue of David where one looks but does not touch.

A well constructed butt joint polished up will look better for alot longer.

Reply to mitre joints on marble? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen