Search the forum,

Discuss mitre joints on marble? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pursedog

hi guys,

i'm currently working on a hi-spec house in mayfair and the client wants all joints to be mitre joints.
the tiles are marble and are 600x300. my current cutter is not up to the job as it is too small and the resulting cuts are hit and miss.

need to speak to the site manager tomorrow so he can get something over which is able to deliver a perfect cut.

any advice on what i should be using?

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
I would advise the Rubi DS-230-LPS on our web site

It has micro adjustment on the back of the table to alter the square of the mitre - saves a lot of frustration. Nice solid machine - avoids excess chipping etc

Is a bit pricy though

last one on the list: TradeTiler.Ltd Wet Saws

:whatchutalkingabout FFS your not kidding

You also have to be built like Fatima Whitbread to lift the F%*$ing thing out of ya van :grin::grin:

D

David - Tradetiler

for mitres it is so much better than a DW type Rubi

"hi-spec house in mayfair"... Might be enough money in it to get the proper tools to get the proper results

One trick I have seen to lessen the weight is undo the two main overhead swing pivot bolts, take off the whole rail/motor part then take off the table from bed. You then have a cutter in easy to move pieces. Takes about 5 mins to undo/redo

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MICK the Tiler

Why is that PJ? is it because it is too brittle?

To answer your question Charlie although Pj will have his own thoughts, Marble is soft yet dense and can indeed be mitered and in fact can be shaped into anything you like if you are skilled enough (Look at the statue of David), the problem arises where the very fine edge near the end of the miter, it will look great for a while, but bathrooms are useable spaces where things get bumped and knocked and eventually the edge will chip over time. Unlike the statue of David where one looks but does not touch.

A well constructed butt joint polished up will look better for alot longer.

B

Branty

And if you get yourself the fein stone polishing kit from a good tool stockist, you'll have the tools to do it.
I worked in a house two years ago, with 5 bathrooms, all tiled in marble. They wanted the but edge finish polished. Myself and the other tiler had no tools, and no experience at this. That got a guy in, and he charged £10 a linear meter. Looked really straight forward, and he made a nice little wedge.

C

charlie1

like this?

Attachments

• charlie1-albums-tiling-pics-picture462-marble-splash.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 138
P

pursedog

jeese life would be a lot more simple if they cld be finished like that. the architect wants them mitered and its doing my head in.

to top it all off i had to take the van in today to bring the new machine.....what a joke. it is a pile of ****. was messing about with it for ages and didnt produce the goods. poor set up and bad design. also got a ticket for £60, got no work done had to leave early to drive another hour n half to get a swap- for a PERLA seems ok but havent cut the tiles with it yet.

oh yeah add congestion charge and petrol in the mix and put a fork in me cause i'm done.

Reply to mitre joints on marble? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.