Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spanky

I'm stuck, I want to tell them to rip it off, but we are now wondering where we go from here.

If I put myself in the contractors shoes, who I am sure knows it isn't right, what would you say?

I am currently out £1000 worth of tiles, which I guess I should expect him to replace, I should also expect him to rip it out, dispose of it, re-plasterboard it then re-tile it.

I would imagine he is going to tell me to get lost.

We have already paid a sizeable deposit, although I do think if it came to the crunch I could get every penny of that back, although that may involve judicious use of the County Court.

Do you see my problem?

On top of that, we have 2 babies under 2 years old and we have had no bathroom for almost 3 weeks now. This is our only bathroom.

U

uug197h

do whats right not what keeps the peace, if your babys get injured you will blame yourself and can you live with that? at the end of the day its your choice YOU HAVE THE FINAL SAY

S

spanky

What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......

I can tell you
that I am pretty well decided to have it out in the morning, I just want to be armed, the tiler will be here at 8.00am or so, before most of these companies are open.

I imagine he will phone the main contractor, then quit the job.

D

DHTiling

hi spanky....you hit the nail on the head there........2 babies under 2......you do not have enough adhesive behind those tiles to firmly hold them....you should have 90% minimum ..

Your tile fixer is wrong FULL STOP to fix like that with those tiles.....

you should have a solid fix with that type of tile no if's or but's......

Phone these comps and they will tell you the same....

Building Adhesives Limited
Longton Road, Trentham
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 8JB
Tel: +44 (0) 1782 591100
Fax: +44 (0) 1782 591101

dummy.gif

Mapei U.K. Ltd. Mapei House - Steel Park Road - Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 8HD - United Kingdom Phone +44-121-5086970 Fax +44-121-5086960 [email protected]

ARDEX UK Limited Homefield Road, Haverhill, Suffolk CB9 8QP UK.
Tel: +44 (0)1440 714939 Fax: +44 (0)1440 716660
Technical Services Fax: +44 (0)1440 716640 E-mail: [email protected]
Registered in England No. 668297

All will tell you the same.........

let us know which way you go.....

dummy.gif

B

brian c

PUT HIM IN HIS PLACE AS SOON AS HE ARRIVES.

The job should never ever have been dot and dabbed is he definately a tiler?

B

brian c

good post Dave,at the rescue again m8.TOP BLOKE

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE OF WHAT DAVE HAS SAID SPANKY.

F

Fekin

Im sorry spanky but I would never ever put the safety of my kids in the bath at risk just for saving a bit of time.

The method that your tiling is being done is in my view and everyone elses on here is not safe or correct for that size and weight of tile.

A propperly fixed tile no matter the weight should stay on the wall for ever, but what you have in your home is not fixed propper and is wide open to failure, and if failure happens, whats it going to be ? , a cracked tile, or it simply comes away from the wall without notice, might be a year from now, or later, or earlier, or never, but thats the gamble your going to accept if they do not start again with a peopper bed of adhesive.

Dot and dabbing any tile is widely regarded as "cowboy'ish", even light weight ceramics, but it's so much worse being the tile you have there.

If they won't listen to you, go online and show them this thread of yours, and let them read it in full.
We're all tilers on here, and to hazzard a guess you've probably got a few hundred years of combined experiance in this thread saying the same thing, that what your tiler is doing is wrong.
They are not going to get any credible expert proof that what they are doing is fine.

It's up to you now.

F

Fekin

What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......

I can tell you
that I am pretty well decided to have it out in the morning, I just want to be armed, the tiler will be here at 8.00am or so, before most of these companies are open.

I imagine he will phone the main contractor, then quit the job.

My customers wouldn't say this to me because I don't dot and dab tiles, and everything I do can and would be backed up from third parties.

D

DHTiling

Also he is just dot & dabbing those without even backskimming them...what about the dust on the back of those tiles........and no filling of the voids in the back of those tiles............

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen