Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

good post Dave,at the rescue again m8.TOP BLOKE

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE OF WHAT DAVE HAS SAID SPANKY.

F

Fekin

Im sorry spanky but I would never ever put the safety of my kids in the bath at risk just for saving a bit of time.

The method that your tiling is being done is in my view and everyone elses on here is not safe or correct for that size and weight of tile.

A propperly fixed tile no matter the weight should stay on the wall for ever, but what you have in your home is not fixed propper and is wide open to failure, and if failure happens, whats it going to be ? , a cracked tile, or it simply comes away from the wall without notice, might be a year from now, or later, or earlier, or never, but thats the gamble your going to accept if they do not start again with a peopper bed of adhesive.

Dot and dabbing any tile is widely regarded as "cowboy'ish", even light weight ceramics, but it's so much worse being the tile you have there.

If they won't listen to you, go online and show them this thread of yours, and let them read it in full.
We're all tilers on here, and to hazzard a guess you've probably got a few hundred years of combined experiance in this thread saying the same thing, that what your tiler is doing is wrong.
They are not going to get any credible expert proof that what they are doing is fine.

It's up to you now.

F

Fekin

What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......

I can tell you
that I am pretty well decided to have it out in the morning, I just want to be armed, the tiler will be here at 8.00am or so, before most of these companies are open.

I imagine he will phone the main contractor, then quit the job.

My customers wouldn't say this to me because I don't dot and dab tiles, and everything I do can and would be backed up from third parties.

D

DHTiling

Also he is just dot & dabbing those without even backskimming them...what about the dust on the back of those tiles........and no filling of the voids in the back of those tiles............

S

spanky

OK, I've pulled a couple of tiles off, right at the top of the wall, see pictures:
(although they had only been up 5 or 6 hours they came off with no effort whatsoever.)

24072008089.jpg

24072008090.jpg

You are most definately correct, this is getting re-done.

I will continue to post what happens.

It's such a shame as it looks beautiful.

Thanks to you all.

D

DHTiling

The job might look good to you but hidden horrors are there........please please keep us up to date........

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier...........not even back buttered.

Travertine has a fine layer of stone dust all over, front and back. bet those dots of cement come of easily as well

S

saintdom

if you have time fella take them all down tonight if its that easy and tell the guy in the morning it was like a domino effect in the middle of the night and he better get cracking, better still sack him off all together.

D

DHTiling

Also can i ask whether the walls were primed with a suitable primer.......and what adhesive was used...........i might have missed this earlier in the thread but i thought i would ask...

W

White Room

Agree with Dave, Looks like no primer and the new plaster/dusty surface has pulled the moisture from the adhesive and not adhered. Why has,nt the ceiling been painted before the tiles where fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

hi spanky....you hit the nail on the head there........2 babies under 2......you do not have enough adhesive behind those tiles to firmly hold them....you should have 90% minimum....

your tile fixer is wrong FULL STOP

you should have a solid fix with that type of tile no if's or but's......

dummy.gif

You know I was saying about a few hundred years of experiance.... well thats just shot through the roof now :lol:

OldTiler.jpg

B

bj F

If I were you I would be getting in touch with rouge traders as that man needs to be stopped before he hurts someone. There is not even fifty percent coverage on that tile in the pic and it is at the top. DO NOT TACK ANY SH*T OF THIS MAN HE IS WRONG!

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen

Dot & Dab travertine? > Page 4 > Tiling Advice - Tilers Forums
Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

good post Dave,at the rescue again m8.TOP BLOKE

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE OF WHAT DAVE HAS SAID SPANKY.

F

Fekin

Im sorry spanky but I would never ever put the safety of my kids in the bath at risk just for saving a bit of time.

The method that your tiling is being done is in my view and everyone elses on here is not safe or correct for that size and weight of tile.

A propperly fixed tile no matter the weight should stay on the wall for ever, but what you have in your home is not fixed propper and is wide open to failure, and if failure happens, whats it going to be ? , a cracked tile, or it simply comes away from the wall without notice, might be a year from now, or later, or earlier, or never, but thats the gamble your going to accept if they do not start again with a peopper bed of adhesive.

Dot and dabbing any tile is widely regarded as "cowboy'ish", even light weight ceramics, but it's so much worse being the tile you have there.

If they won't listen to you, go online and show them this thread of yours, and let them read it in full.
We're all tilers on here, and to hazzard a guess you've probably got a few hundred years of combined experiance in this thread saying the same thing, that what your tiler is doing is wrong.
They are not going to get any credible expert proof that what they are doing is fine.

It's up to you now.

F

Fekin

What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......

I can tell you
that I am pretty well decided to have it out in the morning, I just want to be armed, the tiler will be here at 8.00am or so, before most of these companies are open.

I imagine he will phone the main contractor, then quit the job.

My customers wouldn't say this to me because I don't dot and dab tiles, and everything I do can and would be backed up from third parties.

D

DHTiling

Also he is just dot & dabbing those without even backskimming them...what about the dust on the back of those tiles........and no filling of the voids in the back of those tiles............

S

spanky

OK, I've pulled a couple of tiles off, right at the top of the wall, see pictures:
(although they had only been up 5 or 6 hours they came off with no effort whatsoever.)

24072008089.jpg

24072008090.jpg

You are most definately correct, this is getting re-done.

I will continue to post what happens.

It's such a shame as it looks beautiful.

Thanks to you all.

D

DHTiling

The job might look good to you but hidden horrors are there........please please keep us up to date........

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier...........not even back buttered.

Travertine has a fine layer of stone dust all over, front and back. bet those dots of cement come of easily as well

S

saintdom

if you have time fella take them all down tonight if its that easy and tell the guy in the morning it was like a domino effect in the middle of the night and he better get cracking, better still sack him off all together.

D

DHTiling

Also can i ask whether the walls were primed with a suitable primer.......and what adhesive was used...........i might have missed this earlier in the thread but i thought i would ask...

W

White Room

Agree with Dave, Looks like no primer and the new plaster/dusty surface has pulled the moisture from the adhesive and not adhered. Why has,nt the ceiling been painted before the tiles where fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

hi spanky....you hit the nail on the head there........2 babies under 2......you do not have enough adhesive behind those tiles to firmly hold them....you should have 90% minimum....

your tile fixer is wrong FULL STOP

you should have a solid fix with that type of tile no if's or but's......

dummy.gif

You know I was saying about a few hundred years of experiance.... well thats just shot through the roof now :lol:

OldTiler.jpg

B

bj F

If I were you I would be getting in touch with rouge traders as that man needs to be stopped before he hurts someone. There is not even fifty percent coverage on that tile in the pic and it is at the top. DO NOT TACK ANY SH*T OF THIS MAN HE IS WRONG!

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen