Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spanky

Can someone tell me if you can dot and dab 600 x 400 travertine tiles onto a plasterboard wall?

Thanks

C

charlie1

spanky, its not a good idea to dotdab any kind of tile on to any kind of wall, never mind travertine.

S

spanky

I am being told it's fine, after 35sqm is now on the wall and I have noticed how it's being done?

S

spanky

The tiler and the contractor he is working for. They say they checked with the adhesive firm.

G

Gazzer

The tiler and the contractor he is working for. They say they checked with the adhesive firm.

Then why dont you check with the adhesive firm yourself and have the pleasure of telling them to redo it all. TOTALLY WRONG

S

spanky

I need to get a definative answer, all they keep saying is the tiles won't come off the wall, however, travertine is porous I thought, surely the adhesive is waterproof and protects the pasterboard from damp etc.

What does the British Standard say about this?

Obviously I have nearly £1000 worth of tiles on the wall in a method I am pretty sure is not correct.

But is it just not correct, this is a supposed "know what their doing" company.

I am paying quite a bit too have this done.

£7000 in all or their abouts, excluding the tiles.

V

Varley

Waterproof adhesive does not protect any surface from water damage, the substrate should be tanked prior to tiling. All waterproof adhesive means is that the adhesive doesn't break back down when it comes into contact from water, it still lets water through to the substrate.

G

Gazzer

Adhesive and grout is water resistant not water proof. Plasterboard is not water proof either....your thoughts are all correct and you should stop them fixing NOW

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They are taking the mick...................no way on earth ANY tiles should be D&D.

Ring up any adhesive company and they will tell you.

Bad Bad practice..............and cheaper for the tiler

G

grumpygrouter

Yep, I have to agree with everyone else, deffo a big NO! NO!.

Yes it is porous but you are incorrect about the adhesive being waterproof, it isn't. Hopefully they are putting the tiles onto bare plasterboard and not skimmed, these are heavy tiles I would imagine.

I think you will find (I may be wrong here) that british standards say that adhesive should be applied and combed through with an appropriately sized notched trowel. it will certainly say that on the bag of adhesive!!

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen