Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazTech

Paul, you only have yourself to blame for making such a sturdy job of it in the 1st place...lol :lol:

O

Olz

ill take some next week if i think on

Sound mate, Bit sad but I take an interest in stuff like that, amazing how many people walk past a building like that everyday without even considering the skill and effort that went into the finish, there's nothing there one day, big wooden fence boards around them the next and then hey presto boards come down and there's the finished job. The boards should be transparent to make people appreciate the skill more.

T

The D

My jobs still about where it was 3 weeks ago . . . .
I take it you haven’t found a replacement fixer then?
How much of the work is left to do?
How many replies for the job did you get from the lads on this forum?

R

Rab78

Hi spanky, ive just finished reading this whole thread and i've experienced this personally, i dove headfirst into landfill but crawled out to a fine wine experience.

Beware the bearers of false gifts and their broken promises.

S

spanky

Rab78, you are not kidding. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

At least the rest of the work on the house is progressing better than expected.

. . . . . . . . .

R

Rab78

Travertine is new to me and i can see just how much contribution this topic will be when it comes to fixing them. Personally i'd comb the walls and the backs of the travertine (i'd condiser cleaning the backs from dust too), to allow for build out, use a flexible poweder adhesive suitable for natural stone. Twice the amount of materials required, but thats natural stone for you. If the gyppy cant handle the weight, then I guess lining the walls with 9mm ply, bond it. Then line the ply with 9mm gyppy, bond it. Those are my instincts but maybe a step too much with the ply. Would the gyppy be stronger if it were coated again with bonding agent I wonder, is there methods to strengthen the load beared by the gyppy? Also if you bond the backs of the trav, will it help for any reason..?

Expensiveness is due to products used and not for profit gained.

Prepartion is everything, safe results are the products of preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Travertine is new to me and i can see just how much contribution this topic will be when it comes to fixing them. Personally i'd comb the walls and the backs of the travertine (i'd condiser cleaning the backs from dust too), to allow for build out, use a flexible poweder adhesive suitable for natural stone. Twice the amount of materials required, but thats natural stone for you. If the gyppy cant handle the weight, then I guess lining the walls with 9mm ply, bond it. Then line the ply with 9mm gyppy, bond it. Those are my instincts but maybe a step too much with the ply. Would the gyppy be stronger if it were coated again with bonding agent I wonder, is there methods to strengthen the load beared by the gyppy? Also if you bond the backs of the trav, will it help for any reason..?

Expensiveness is due to products used and not for profit gained.

Prepartion is everything, safe results are the products of preparation.
dont bother with all that just fit tile backer board.. :thumbsup:

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen