Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spanky

Well, not quite.

Been without a working bathroom for 4 1/2 weeks now.

Not good with 2 kids under 2.

Still, I've had 3 this evening so I don't particularly care at the moment.

Nice to see the thread is still getting looked at though.

T

The D

Well, not quite.

Been without a working bathroom for 4 1/2 weeks now.

Not good with 2 kids under 2.

Still, I've had 3 this evening so I don't particularly care at the moment.

Nice to see the thread is still getting looked at though.
Yes kicked up quite a fuss this one and got me on quite a few most hated list’s but it’s all good. I do hope it all works out for you and your family at the end of the day you deserve a good job that will last. :thumbsup:

T

Taz8130

Started reading this thread about 11pm last night...got to bed about 3 this morning. Mrs gave me grief when I finally climbed into bed.

Dot & Dab ? No No No No No

Yes it used to be an accepted method to apply wall & floor tiles, but times have moved on.

We now live with advanced technologies, advanced adhesives, working procedures and The Health & Safety Executive. If we didn't domestic plumbing would stiil be made of lead pipe, gas would still be the main source of lighting in homes and asbestos roof sheets would be sold at B & Q.

Have to admit I am a bit disappointed at the in-house bickering. Just agree to disagree about the matter, we all have our opinions.

Spanky, with regards to getting confirmation from different adhesive manufacturers. The only one that matters is the manufacturer of the adhesive that is being used on the job as it is they that would have conducted the relevant testing, backed up with scientific evidence, the others could only give a professional opinion.

If I was in your situation, I would stop the job, and advise the contractor that I intended to follow an official avenue regarding my concerns with the tiling method being used. You keep on repeating that you have been without a bathroom for X number of weeks. How would you feel if a member of your family was permanently injured. What would you say to your child?...... "Sorry that you have a permanent scar sweetheart , but Daddy wanted the bathroom finished quickly and I was too embarrassed to confront the builder"

He's using your dislike for confrontation as a weapon against you......bite the bullet & stand your ground. An old boss of mine used to have a saying - "You need have b***s to stand up against some people but first you need to grow a pair"

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

Started reading this thread about 11pm last night...got to bed about 3 this morning. Mrs gave me grief when I finally climbed into bed.

Dot & Dab ? No No No No No

Yes it used to be an accepted method to apply wall & floor tiles, but times have moved on.

We now live with advanced technologies, advanced adhesives, working procedures and The Health & Safety Executive. If we didn't domestic plumbing would stiil be made of lead pipe, gas would still be the main source of lighting in homes and asbestos roof sheets would be sold at B & Q.

Have to admit I am a bit disappointed at the in-house bickering. Just agree to disagree about the matter, we all have our opinions.

Spanky, with regards to getting confirmation from different adhesive manufacturers. The only one that matters is the manufacturer of the adhesive that is being used on the job as it is they that would have conducted the relevant testing, backed up with scientific evidence, the others could only give a professional opinion.

If I was in your situation, I would stop the job, and advise the contractor that I intended to follow an official avenue regarding my concerns with the tiling method being used. You keep on repeating that you have been without a bathroom for X number of weeks. How would you feel if a member of your family was permanently injured. What would you say to your child?...... "Sorry that you have a permanent scar sweetheart , but Daddy wanted the bathroom finished quickly and I was too embarrassed to confront the builder"

He's using your dislike for confrontation as a weapon against you......bite the bullet & stand your ground. An old boss of mine used to have a saying - "You need have b***s to stand up against some people but first you need to grow a pair"
Did you read all the thread? :huh2:

W

wetdec

Every tiler has a way and skill he believes correct so will naturally try to make himself heard...............

Combine the above with a good niggle and you have 275 posts on a controvercial subject at the best of times..........

We now have comments :

Post 44 should of been the turning point.....guidence should of been followed.....tiler dealt with............pleasantries exchanged

My Opinion..........

Tiler

T

Taz8130

I just wondered as spanky did confront the tiler and the builder the day after the ordinal post. The man as a pair. :yes:

You are quite correct that early on in the situation spanky spoke to the contractor regarding his concerns over the method used but despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary he has allowed the situation to continue, on occasions trying to anticipate what the contractor would say - examples from posts:

Without a bathroom (have been for 2 weeks)
Have to persued them that they will have to rip off 35 sqm of tile, then pay for 35 sqm more, re-plasterboard it, and re-tile it.

I can imagine they are not gonna want to do that.

Hence the needing a good reason for not doing it, they are saying the tiles "won't" come off.

I am running out of arguement, I am sure he knows it is wrong.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I am now obviously a bit stuck, I paid £1000 ish for the Tiles and have paid this contractor to basically rip out the whole room, fit the tiles then fit a bathroom suite & shower cubicle with all ancillary works, it is going to cost him upwards of £3000 to rip it off and start again, perhaps more.

Obviously he is not going to "want" to do this.

I'm stuck, I want to tell them to rip it off, but we are now wondering where we go from here.

If I put myself in the contractors shoes, who I am sure knows it isn't right, what would you say?
On top of that, we have 2 babies under 2 years old and we have had no bathroom for almost 3 weeks now. This is our only bathroom.
What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......
Surely he should of stood his ground much earlier -would you not agree?
With regards having a pair of b***s - It was not meant as an insult, I was paraphrasing a comment from a third person regarding ones ability and willingness to confront situations we would rather avoid and there lies the difference.

T

The D

Yes I can see where you are coming from but look at it from spanys point of view as a customer that is being told by the fixer and the contractor that there is nothing wrong with the job when any idiot can tell from the pics that is not true.
Spanky came on the forum looking for support and advice on the credibility of doting and dabbing. It is understandable that he was hesitant he is not an expert. He was getting good sound advice from the forum members and gaining the ammunition to fire at the fixer and contractor but then he got these comments (Why is it so bad to dot and dab?) and (There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive. From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and that’s good enough.) and (Spanky i can tell you now before you get into a huge wrangle with this tiler, if you end up in court on the issue of dabbing tiles you will without a shadow of doubt loose the case.) and (I have given evidence twice in the past five years on tiling cases. If I were giving evidence in this case i would discredit your Internet forum advice simply by producing some of the replies posted on other subjects.)
It is now wonder he was hesitant but he stuck to his guns and got rid of the fixer and the contractor.
I for one respect the man for standing his ground and I apologies to anybody reading this thread if I come across as bickering but to me it is important that inexperienced fixers understand that this dot and dab method is not an acceptable fixing method and I will stand my ground against anybody who try’s to justify it.

R

redeye1979

i can't wait to hear teh way this turns out, i genuinely wish you all teh best spanky and i'll be glued to the thread checking how you're getting on. (thankfully the two and a half hours it's took me so far won't have to be repeated)

All the best and i hope you get the outcome you dseserve!

T

The D

i have to cut one of these out tomorrow due to the sparky drilling a 30 mm hole in the wrong place
the slab was dot and dabbed on
so we will see how easely it comes off
i bet it brings most of the concreat block with it
28072008212.jpg
How did it go getting that tile out? Have you got any pics m8?

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do think that there is merit in the method you are talking about but that is not dot and dab. I will concede that if you are achieving eighty percent coverage and you are within the adhesive manufacturers recommended bed depth and the weight limits for the sub-straight then it doesn’t really mater whether you apply the adhesive with a notched trowel or a gauging trowel. If you will concede that dot and dab is not an acceptable method of fixing tiles of any kind.

You obviously know your stuff and I have a lot of respect for tilers who do a good job but I have no respect for people who try to defend a job that is clearly sub-standard.
dean , there is a difference between dot dabbing and gauging the back of the tile, you dont necessary have to use a notched trowel to achieve the correct bed of adhesive...

G

GazTech

a lumb hammer and bolster would,nt touch it
the lad had to get the kango out
now the main contractors haggling over the 4 hours day work:mad2:
PMSL....that wouldn't have happened if you didn't have 90/100% coverage and the adhesive gauged to the tile well....

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley