Search the forum,

Discuss different thickness tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

callejasmin

Hi there I have been asked to tile a friends bathroom around the bath up to the ceiling and after looking at the chosen tiles I noticed that the boarder tiles are thicker than the rest of the wall tiles..

Q, whats the best way to lay these I think she wants them to all be flush.

Any suggestions of best practice /methods welcome

Cheers callejasmin

B

Bolter

Is there no chance of the customer choosing a different border? Thats quite a difference.

F

Fred

You can go up to a bigger notch trowel using powder gear for the main tiles and a very thin bed trowel for the borders.

C

callejasmin

I will work on her (ooh er)........I did think about different trowel notch sizes but just wandered if there was a trade trick.........

thank you for your input

cheers calle jasmin

D

Daveyboy

That's good advice from Fred, Calle (or is it jasmin?)..but it's still tricky as you've got to keep the wall tiles bedded out the same horizontally and vertically, allowing for any bends in the walls..otherwise you could find you've not bedded out enough in some areas and too much in other areas..def try to get her to go for the same thickness border and wall tiles..:yes:

W

White Room

Try Mapei Keraflex maxi will give you a bed upto 15mm if you can get hold of it for the main tiles

Last edited by a moderator:

cmdceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
lol ive just had the same problem, told the customer that it would be better to change the border so they went back to the tile shop and were told that the tiler would be able to pack out the tiles to suit and that all borders come in the same thickness!!!

They believed the guy at the tile shop. Thanks tile shop guy!

Tiler London

S

silver

Hi,
depending on how much to pack out and what the mosaics are (stone, ceramic or ...glass).
There are packing mats available..... basically spacer pegs (square) joined end on on a sheet at about 2>3mm thick..I have used these and they do work..you cut to size.....
If walls are bad and you are on thick tiles and thin mosaics a thin tile >6mm insert can work too. but glass will/could show this through and the addy.

I also express to customers to get similar thickness tiles to borders..probs arise around switches when customer is adament about border height (Kitchen), window recess with vertical trims, shower screen fittings etc....

I have lost count of a "good tiler will get round this" remarks.....A good tiler informs the customer about this and why....and before they buy where possible. I have had no problems with tile shops I use exchanging borders for this reason..they havent lost a sale and are found to be extra helpful...so they dont mind.

The customers just dont think that far into a job...why should they, they are not tilers...thats why we need to help them.

W

White Room

Would be nice if they took notice at times before they went out and bought the tiles:ninja:

Reply to different thickness tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen