Discuss Concrete moonscape! Best course of action? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Jack

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time tiler here about to tackle floor tiles (and wall tiles soon too)

First off just want to say this forum is the dogs - lots of great info and help for green behind the ears types like me!

Am doing up my first property and have a bit of a nightmare in the kitchen. It now resembles the lunar surface! There were 4 layers of tiles (3 vinyl, with marley on the bottom) on top of a layer of bitumen on a concrete subfloor. My plan is to ceramic tile the kitchen and downstairs khazi and put some cheap carpet tiles in the back door area and under stairs cupboard. I removed all the tiles and then on the advice that ceramics won't bond to the bitumen well, took it all up with a SDS drill.

I made a pigs ear of it as you can see. It dug out huge chunks of concrete in places, at worst around 2.5 inches deep!

My step-dad works in flooring and is coming to give it a look over soon but thought I'd best consult you guys too as I'm not sure what the best course of action is next.

The property was built around 1946, ex council, and does not have a DPM. There is a DPC that has been injected in through external brickwork. My understanding from what I've read, correct if wrong, is that the layer of bitumen acted as the original damp proofing and that now that's gone I need to treat the concrete with a liquid DPM, then use a primer, then a screed and level it, and then I can get the ceramics and carpet etc down.

Is that correct? Another source has told me that it would be easier to use cement to fill and level the place, forego the liquid DPM, and then get the ceramics down. I'm dubious of this and obviously want to do this job properly hence why I'm asking.

Also I doubt you can tell in the photos but there are some very small remnants of bitumen here and there still stuck to the concrete. These bits are no more than 1mm thick at the most and are invariably due to the SDS being a pain in the *** and juddering over the top of the stuff due to the angle I was holding it at being slightly too obtuse. Are these small bits going to be a problem with any of the above or am I ok to just leave them there and liquid DPM/screed/cement over the top of it?

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. Of all the jobs I hope I never have to do again, removing bitumen ranks high! I raise a glass to any tiler here who has to do that with any regularity as part of the job!!!

Khazi:

IMG-20170411-WA0003.jpeg

Cupboard (worst bit):

IMG-20170411-WA0001.jpeg

Kitchen:

IMG-20170411-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20170411-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20170411-WA0011.jpeg

Back door area:

IMG-20170411-WA0005.jpeg

Bitumen mid-removal:

IMG-20170405-WA0011.jpeg

More kitchen:

IMG-20170405-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20170405-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20170405-WA0002.jpeg

Jack

TF
Reaction score
Also should I be concerned at all about the giant crack running from one corner to the doorway in the kitchen?

F

Flintstone

The crack will be old subsidence or something along those lines I wouldn't be worrying about that on a place of that age. As long as it's all vacuumed out and primed with acrylic primer I can't see any reason why a good leveller can't go over it all. One that does a decent thickness such as tilemaster level flex.

L

LM

My approach to this as it's simply a domestic house would be to stabilise the existing screed by soaking it in a primer such as Ardex P51 diluted with water accordingly and allowed to dry. Then fill in the deepest parts in stages to level the worst of it with a leveller such as Arditex NA that can be used below a DPM so as to leave yourself a flatish surface that will be better prepared and able to recieve a DPM such as Ardex DPM 1C. Then give it a finishing coat of Ardex NA on top of that to level the floor nice and flat to leave it reday to receive tiles.

Reply to Concrete moonscape! Best course of action? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks