Discuss Self levelling over bitumen in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
So I may have done an oopsie.

We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I removed the vinyl tiles. Some of the tiles had a white powder which had pushed them up. This is a concrete ground floor with no basement. So my plan was to seal over the bitumen and then put self leveller.

I have applied a layer of acrylic Setcrete High Performance Floor Levelling Acrylic Primer - 2.5L | Wickes.co.uk - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-High-Performance-Floor-Levelling-Acrylic-Primer---2-5L%0D%0A/p/154148

However I since learned that 1) this is no good for bitumen and 2) the bitumen may have been a damp proof membrane when installed (in the 50s). So I should perhaps have used SBR?

I also read that PVA plus self leveller is a recipe for disaster, even though that is often recommended!

What do I do now? Go ahead with self leveller? Try and remove the acrylic and apply SBR instead?

I really, really do not want to grind the surface because of the dust.

Reaction score
The bitumen was installed in the 50s it’s no good as it only last 40 years a a DPM
Remove bitumen and install A18 then NA at 20mm with granite chippings then install DPMc1 and then latex over top with NA latex which will give you a correct DPM all made by Adrex
Water based latex is no good on top of bitumen and no good to under side of a DPM
Install once and do it correctly and it does work we have just completed a installation using Adrex and there recommendation

DanbSE

-
Reaction score
HI, similar to what was said above, though there's also the ability to use Weber products, including Weberfloor Flex. Obviously if bitumen can be removed, then do so, but non-removable residue doesn't prevent a primer, Weberfloor Flex/ DPM solution without need of chippings etc

Reaction score
The bitumen was installed in the 50s it’s no good as it only last 40 years a a DPM
Remove bitumen and install A18 then NA at 20mm with granite chippings then install DPMc1 and then latex over top with NA latex which will give you a correct DPM all made by Adrex
Water based latex is no good on top of bitumen and no good to under side of a DPM
Install once and do it correctly and it does work we have just completed a installation using Adrex and there recommendation

Cheers for your reply!

Problem is there's no real official advice available that I can find. Would have loved to see that recommendation before I got to work!

We just did the Mapei 10-40 self leveller over the acrylic. No way were we getting that bitumen crap off. House is situated high on a hill with chalk ground, so excellent drainage.

Maybe I'll have to rip it out in a few years and try again. I guess time will tell whether it's ok.

Reply to Self levelling over bitumen in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks