Search the forum,

Discuss can we fix ditra mat down with a gypson adhesive ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dexo

TF
Reaction score
we have 80 m floor to tile which has been layed for 4 weeks now and it is a gyvlon screed type it has underfloor heating which has been on for 10 days now
we would like to stick a ditra mat down to screed with a gypson based adhesive has anybody used this method as we r getting mixed comments on this help

I

Ian

4 weeks isn't long enough IMO, have you had the screed moisture tested? I have fixed Dural Ci+ using Creative Impressions GBTA, and it was very successful. It's the method I'd use if and when I tile to a gypsum screed in the future.

B

bugs183

Hi Dexo.
You will get mixed views on this Dexo, as there are many opinions about the methods of fixing to these screeds, but the lads here are all trying to get the answers.
Creative impressions GBTA is working well as an adhesive for gypsum floors, but Schluter are saying they prefer cementitious adhesives to fix Ditra.
As Bri says, don't for one minute think that having the heating on will mean the screed is dry enough. You have to moisture test as these screeds are way more sensitive to residual moisture than a traditional sand and cement screed.

P

Peter

Is it a possibility to use vinyl adhesive for sticking the Ditra down in these circumstances?

B

bugs183

Yes, this is another method that is being used.
Obviously the floor will need moisture testing, then sanding and vacuuming, before application.

P

Pebbs

I have done a lot of meterage on these screeds and have always used ditra matting, but that is my preferred choice and I will continue to specifiy it and install it for the foreseeable future. However I would never use anything else but Ardex AF200, again it comes down to personal choice.

Pebbs

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
is it ok on gyvlon lynn ive used it on timber floors , great stuff, if it work well on gyvlon , then that would be my method of fixing

what i will say fixing ditra with floor adhesive , you can manage on you own , with the af200 , its a 2 man job esp if it s long runs ,
sticks like $ hit to a blanket

P

Pebbs

As long as the gyvlon has been tested and passed, we then sand it and prime it. I have never had a problem with AF200 and ditra, over these screeds. There are price implications for using the AF200, its never been 'cheap' but there would be bigger implications if the floor failed.

Pebbs

R

Rookery

If my memory serves me well, in the early days didnt Schluter recommend sticking Ditra down with Blue Star?

B

bugs183

I remember something similar when we started using it around 1994ish they did say in theory it could be stuck down with wall tile adhesive as it was designed to uncouple.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not familiar with the af200 specifically but it's perfectly acceptable to use a vanilla adhesive for ditra. The only concern I wold have would be the implication on heavy point loading due to the dimples not being filled with a rigid adhesive but from a practical pontiff view is this really an issue.... Based on Lynn's comments I would suggest not.

B

bugs183

The adhesive would spread the same to the fleece backing with cement based or vinyl adhesive. As long as the dovetailed holes are filled above with cement based adhesive as Schluter recommend i can't see it being a loading problem.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The adhesive would spread the same to the fleece backing with cement based or vinyl adhesive. As long as the dovetailed holes are filled above with cement based adhesive as Schluter recommend i can't see it being a loading problem.

Question answered then methinks.

Reply to can we fix ditra mat down with a gypson adhesive ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen