Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss black grout turns white? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

To be fair Neale, it may be the first time he's used black grout. Efflorescence can occur with any coloured grout but it's not always visable.

My BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout is still holding up well.

But for a "Tiler" to say he or she has never heard of Efflorescence is a bit suspect to me. This "Tiler" is playing with £1000 worth of tiles and i would want him/her to know the trade.
We are not talking about a little known subject here but of a major problem.
Yes it can affect all grouts but the darker ones tend to show the problem more so.
Also Yes your "BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout" should hold up well....the clue is "efflorescence free".

S

sandeeeee2000

hy kev

I have put olive oil on the tile..its darkened it considerably. Could you tell me what product u recommend?

thanks
sandy

T

TilingLogistics

hy kev

I have put olive oil on the tile..its darkened it considerably. Could you tell me what product u recommend?

thanks
sandy

I hope you mean the grout and not the tile has darkened considerably? Now the next thing to do is to brush all the grout lines with a hard DRY brush a good quality nail brush is usually best the harder the better this will remove any salts that have been produced as a result of the effloresence. (UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WET THE FLOOR AGAIN YOU WILL REACTIVATE THE EFFLORESCENCE PROCESS)Then gently vacuum the floor paying attention to the grout lines (Use the crevice tool if necessary) Now purchase some Aqua Mix Enrich & Seal and apply it to the grout lines. Let it dwell for a good 5 or 6 minutes then wipe any excess up with paper towel and buff with an old towel. After 24 hours if the grout is still not dark enough repeat the process again until you are happy. Do not be tempted to just leave it for a couple of hours and apply again, be patient and allow each coat to cure. If you give me your total M2 Measurement and the width of the grout lines I will tell you what size bottle to purchase:thumbs_up:

Good Luck

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

You will need the smallest bottle in that case it is 473ml (about 1/2 ltr)bottle. It has a 15 year warranty. You can get it from Taylors 01792 797712

Kev

S

sandeeeee2000

Hy
my tiler has put powder cement colour on the grouting, I dont know what he has mixed it with but it is still patchy...has anyone any thoughts on this before I proceed with other suggestions that have been made here. And will this "harm" my tiles?
Regards
Sandy

B

brigitte

Kev, I tried the olive oil and it made the grout in that spot look a deep black again. I have the black grout in my shower(!) with lots of water hitting it. So I can just treat all the grout lines with olive oil, wait 24 hours, scrub and vacuum and then seal it? I don't know if I can get the product you recommend since I live in Canada, but I have a commercial grade sealer with colour enhancer for the slate tile. Will that do?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Use Aquamix Enrich and seal in canada to darken the grout joints, you won't be able to seal over an oil..

Reply to black grout turns white? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks