Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss black grout turns white? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me. I have black tiles and my tiler at my request put black grout to my delight. I washed the tiles/grout with washing up liquid. My black grouting is now patchy and ranges from white to grey to black. My tiler says that because the size of the grouting between tiles are narrow, taking the grout out may result in chipped tiles
The floor looks awful and at £1000 for the tiles its an expensive mistake Is there anything that can be done?
Surely the grouting manufacturers are soley responsible? My tiler says and have others they have never heard of this before. Anyone eles experienced similar?

Regards
Sandy

OP
A

Alberta Stone

Get some black concrete stain and have him apply (use a sealer bottle with a brush tip) and then wash.
This time use minimal water.
The problem you have is called efflorescence which occurs when any concrete product is over washed before it is cured.
They have an efflorescence remover on the market, but they only work so well with grout.
Make sure that you get a good sealer onto that grout before you get after it again with water.
So no, you do not have to remove the grout.
Any large dealer of decorative concrete should have the stain on hand or know where it can be found.

OP
G

Gazzer

If your tiler hasnt heard of efflorescence before i would suggest he isnt a tiler. Its a common problem especially with darker grouts.

OP
T

TilingLogistics

Pour a little olive oil on an inconspicous area where the grout is at its lightest only do about an inch in length and leave it for a full 24 hours and let me know if you are happy with the result. If you are I will tell you where to get a product that will replicate the olive oil action and seal the grout at the same time

Kev

OP
C

cornish_crofter

If your tiler hasnt heard of efflorescence before i would suggest he isnt a tiler. Its a common problem especially with darker grouts.

To be fair Neale, it may be the first time he's used black grout. Efflorescence can occur with any coloured grout but it's not always visable.

My BAL Ebony efflorescence free grout is still holding up well.

OP
W

wivers

Black Bal grout staining ....Surely not.....this has only ever happend a million times!!!! Try aquamix products they work a treat.

OP
W

wivers

How come that link i posted linked to another forum when all i did was cut and paste the adress?

Reply to black grout turns white? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock