Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dave H

Do you take note of direction arrows on back of most porcelain, are they for tilers benefit or just
for production purposes, have spoken to various tilers with varying thoughts

D

Dave H

Obviously you don't, have a look next time you fix porcelain, normally a small arrow at one edge, and normally following direction of any pattern.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Obviously you don't, have a look next time you fix porcelain, normally a small arrow at one edge, and normally following direction of any pattern.

You've answered your own question there then Dave if the arrows point in the direction of a pattern to follow!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
This way up?? lol

Can't say ive ever paid attention to it, the pattern on the face of the tile usually tells you. I would of hazard a guess at a production marking though. If any tile has a destinct pattern, surely just look at the tile face?

D

Dave H

You've answered your own question there then Dave if the arrows point in the direction of a pattern to follow!

Normally yes, but not always the case, also had some Cotto de este 60x60 recently that were a fraction difference in size one way to other, over a few tiles this makes a difference.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They're for the cowboy tilers so they can think they are being attacks by Indians....

C

carlito

Just done over 200m2 of 60 x 60 porcelain and noticed the arrows. Didn't pay too much attention to them but tiles have gone down ok.

J

jonnyc

come on !!!
someone must know the real answer .
just stating that you have seen them but not taken any heed or notice or thought given, before laying and anyway it was ok is not the answer we are looking for,surely.
being a stone man primarily, i dont have arrows on the back of my tiles and i have to make a decision about how i lay stone based on the linear marking in some tiles. but i would not do this without consulting my client . unless it was cross cut travertine for example i would lay the stone random as the striaton marks may turn as the tiles from block are cut

J

jonnyc

I should also add that i have had packs of tiles where they say that you should follow the arrow on the back and others where nothing is mentioned at all.
if you are told to follow the arrow, this brings a whole new dimension of problems whereby you should mark off cuts where the arrow has been cut off for future use , to be only used on that axis.
this in itself presents a huge problem if you are responsible for stating how much wastage should be allowed for.
if arrows mean nothing then we have nothing to worry about.
but to simply state that you have seen them but not even given any thought is puzzling

P

Peter

Would imagine they're to show you which way to follow a grain, then on non grained tiles perhaps they're just using the same underside template?

Only thing I've used which needed to follow the arrows were Klinker Sires as they had a bit of a difference you wouldn't notice until they were laid. Square tile but 2mm shorter on the arrow sides.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Still think its a production branding, much like the what you call it things on silver and gold.

Reply to Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks