Search the forum,

Discuss Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

the arrows on the tiles show the way they where glazed and fired on hight glaze tiles can look like diffrent shades on walls if you dout follow the arrows next time you come acrross this put a tile under good light with the arrow facing up then turn the other tile round stand back and look at the shades see if it changes with the way the light hits it

J

jonnyc

the arrows on the tiles show the way they where glazed and fired on hight glaze tiles can look like diffrent shades on walls if you dout follow the arrows next time you come acrross this put a tile under good light with the arrow facing up then turn the other tile round stand back and look at the shades see if it changes with the way the light hits it
this sounds like a good answer. who told you this ray.
doesnt it mean though that you may need to allow for more wastage than normal and have to ask if there are arrows on the back before you decide how many sq mts you need .also have to mark every off cut you have left over where you have already used part of tile with arrow on it!!
i had this recently on a big floor and we certainly used more than normal because we had arrows in same direction

D

Dave H

Good to get some sensible feedback, thanks to Ajax123 for link, thought that was
the case, but will still check tiles before laying

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
this sounds like a good answer. who told you this ray.
doesnt it mean though that you may need to allow for more wastage than normal and have to ask if there are arrows on the back before you decide how many sq mts you need .also have to mark every off cut you have left over where you have already used part of tile with arrow on it!!
i had this recently on a big floor and we certainly used more than normal because we had arrows in same direction

I allways mark off cuts, so i know where arrows should be. If i start walls with arrows UP, i ceap it that way. ( only some off cuts stick with arrows down, but don't turn to left or right)

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
good point ray tt :thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think because of the way they are fired whilst the arrows are for production purposes this firing procedure will "grain" the tiles such that they are not uniform across the entire tile. As each tile is subjects to the same regime these arrows can presumable as has already be mentioned be used to align the tiles so that the grain is unidirectional. I suspect that it would take an extremely keen eye to determine differences on a floor. Not sure about walls though... I don't deal with walls often.

P

Perry

i have had porcelain tiles quiet a few times a few years ago when they were like parallelograms the only way they could be laid was buy putting them all the same way

D

Dave H

another point is that on a 60x60 06 60x30, any bowing on tiles is normally the same on each tile so keeping arrows directional helps with lipping!

Reply to Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen