Search the forum,

Discuss Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

come on !!!
someone must know the real answer .
just stating that you have seen them but not taken any heed or notice or thought given, before laying and anyway it was ok is not the answer we are looking for,surely.
being a stone man primarily, i dont have arrows on the back of my tiles and i have to make a decision about how i lay stone based on the linear marking in some tiles. but i would not do this without consulting my client . unless it was cross cut travertine for example i would lay the stone random as the striaton marks may turn as the tiles from block are cut

J

jonnyc

I should also add that i have had packs of tiles where they say that you should follow the arrow on the back and others where nothing is mentioned at all.
if you are told to follow the arrow, this brings a whole new dimension of problems whereby you should mark off cuts where the arrow has been cut off for future use , to be only used on that axis.
this in itself presents a huge problem if you are responsible for stating how much wastage should be allowed for.
if arrows mean nothing then we have nothing to worry about.
but to simply state that you have seen them but not even given any thought is puzzling

P

Peter

Would imagine they're to show you which way to follow a grain, then on non grained tiles perhaps they're just using the same underside template?

Only thing I've used which needed to follow the arrows were Klinker Sires as they had a bit of a difference you wouldn't notice until they were laid. Square tile but 2mm shorter on the arrow sides.

T

Turkish tiler

arrow on back of tiles means, tiles are derictional tiles
all arrows should point one direction
I allways check back of the tiles bofore a start layin (ceramic or porcelain)

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Normally yes, but not always the case, also had some Cotto de este 60x60 recently that were a fraction difference in size one way to other, over a few tiles this makes a difference.

Even though the arrows are all pointing in the same direction it could be that some tiles are poor quality and the calibration is poor. Had it before when customers have bought tiles and they have all been the same batch numbers but they were out by mm even in the same box.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Would imagine they're to show you which way to follow a grain, then on non grained tiles perhaps they're just using the same underside template?

Only thing I've used which needed to follow the arrows were Klinker Sires as they had a bit of a difference you wouldn't notice until they were laid. Square tile but 2mm shorter on the arrow sides.

i had exactly the same problem with a job I did earlier this year. I had looked for an arrow but missed it, it turned into a nightmare as soon as the second row started to go down. On closer inspection I found a tiny arrow, ran them the same way and it was fine.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The arrows on porcelaine tiles are a guide for the direction of loading the moulds into the firing kilns. They are for production purposes.

Last edited:
C

charlie1

Funny this comes up now as i recently fitted a load of porcelanosa 60x60 with the arrows on them... I only noticed half way through thought! ...very interesting question

Reply to Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen