Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed - tiler almost doubled verbal quote on invoice, never quoted in writing in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Just Rizzle

pay him what he quoted saying in full and final payment and threaten him with informing hmrc i bet they be happy to investigate cash deals and vat

James C

TF
Reaction score
pay him what he quoted saying in full and final payment and threaten him with informing hmrc i bet they be happy to investigate cash deals and vat

This may be the only route I have left to take, I don’t want to be that guy but clearly he is doing cash work on the weekends that never makes it to HMRC, and I had no problem paying the original quote regardless of whether it was on the books or not

S

Spare Tool

So just to get it straight...he originally quoted for just sticking tiles on, then you asked him to overboard the walls as well?

James C

TF
Reaction score
So just to get it straight...he originally quoted for just sticking tiles on, then you asked him to overboard the walls as well?

No we originally told him we wanted the boards on the wall too. He then quoted for the job to be completed, and then spent the week trying to convince us we did not need the boards

S

Spare Tool

No we originally told him we wanted the boards on the wall too. He then quoted for the job to be completed, and then spent the week trying to convince us we did not need the boards
But regardless, did his original quote include boarding the wall?

James C

TF
Reaction score
But regardless, did his original quote include boarding the wall?

As I said, we told him what we wanted (over boarding), he then verbally quoted. The absence of a written quote is the issue here as we were clear what we wanted. He tried talking us out of the boards as a “waste of money” but we insisted, and spent the money buying boards and fixings

S

Spare Tool

Not trying to get your back up James, I am working on a large job at the moment (over 200sqm) and there's nothing in writing at all. I visited site and quoted £# so much a metre there and then and they accepted..
There's no laws against a verbal quote that I know of, its a trust thing and am no expert on the law but think once work has commenced then your in a contract..you should have confirmed the price before he started and tbf he should have said the price would be going up for whatever reasons.. Judge Rinder would have a field day with this one

Reply to Advice needed - tiler almost doubled verbal quote on invoice, never quoted in writing in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen