Discuss Advice needed - tiler almost doubled verbal quote on invoice, never quoted in writing in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

James C

TF
Reaction score
hi all,

I’ve had some stellar advice from these forums in getting some split face stone tiles installed on my walls safely and correctly, and based on the advice I insisted they were installed on marmox boards rather than the existing plasterboard.

I supplied the boards, the washers, the screws etc.

the original quote verbally delivered as “I can do the job for £420”.

His invoice almost doubled the quote and added VAT (never mentioned the verbal quote needed VAT added!) and at no point confirmed he wanted to invoice more before the invoice arrived.

Where do I stand on this? As he did not quote in writing at any point, do I have to pay this extortionate cost?

FYI he completed the job in 8 hours total work and only needed to supply adhesive.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
So around £1000 for a days work?

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
Without having it in front of me, it was close to £800! It was 4 hours on a Saturday and 4 hours on a Sunday...

My point was more of a quote is verbal and agreed verbally, surely you can’t just add on another £300 and invoice?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Is he VAT registered .??
I would be wanting to see a vat number and would check its real..

As you have nothing in writing it's just he said, you said...

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Always get your quote in writing and definitely check he is vat registered.

W

Waluigi

I’d question it.

For me, I don’t really charge for part days, if it’s 4 hours one day and 4 hours another then that’s 2 days.

Even still, that’s quite a healthy day rate he has there. Can you estimate how much he spent on materials?

Definitely ask for a breakdown. How can he ask for more money once he’s already quoted I don’t know. A verbal quote is still a contract.

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
He is threatening “litigation” if I don’t pay him. I’m more than happy to pay the quoted amount. If he doesn’t have a legal standpoint to “send it to litigation” then I will stand firm and continue extending my offer to pay him what he quoted.

He also stated in his last email that the quote was “for cash”, doesn’t sound like the VAT man is getting any of that!

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
I’d question it.

For me, I don’t really charge for part days, if it’s 4 hours one day and 4 hours another then that’s 2 days.

Even still, that’s quite a healthy day rate he has there. Can you estimate how much he spent on materials?

Definitely ask for a breakdown. How can he ask for more money once he’s already quoted I don’t know. A verbal quote is still a contract.

Everything was in place to be done in one day, it certainly wasn’t our choice for him to come back on the Sunday, would have been far easier to get it all done on the Saturday!

The only material was adhesive for 5sq metres of boards and tiles

W

Waluigi

Minimal then.

Yes I’d definitely question it. I’d just tell him that he quoted x amount on the phone. No mention of VAT.

You have to tell people it’s plus VAT otherwise it’s misleading

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
Minimal then.

Yes I’d definitely question it. I’d just tell him that he quoted x amount on the phone. No mention of VAT.

You have to tell people it’s plus VAT otherwise it’s misleading

It’s just unpleasant to have to be this way. I do a job where we quote for complicated trades on technical projects, and we quote for everything in an email and get agreement before we book anything in. We always state on the quote that additional labour will be x per hour and materials are an estimation within 10% etc.

I guess I have to wait for a solicitors letter now!

J

Just Rizzle

pay him what he quoted saying in full and final payment and threaten him with informing hmrc i bet they be happy to investigate cash deals and vat

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
pay him what he quoted saying in full and final payment and threaten him with informing hmrc i bet they be happy to investigate cash deals and vat

This may be the only route I have left to take, I don’t want to be that guy but clearly he is doing cash work on the weekends that never makes it to HMRC, and I had no problem paying the original quote regardless of whether it was on the books or not

S

Spare Tool

So just to get it straight...he originally quoted for just sticking tiles on, then you asked him to overboard the walls as well?

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
So just to get it straight...he originally quoted for just sticking tiles on, then you asked him to overboard the walls as well?

No we originally told him we wanted the boards on the wall too. He then quoted for the job to be completed, and then spent the week trying to convince us we did not need the boards

S

Spare Tool

No we originally told him we wanted the boards on the wall too. He then quoted for the job to be completed, and then spent the week trying to convince us we did not need the boards
But regardless, did his original quote include boarding the wall?

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
But regardless, did his original quote include boarding the wall?

As I said, we told him what we wanted (over boarding), he then verbally quoted. The absence of a written quote is the issue here as we were clear what we wanted. He tried talking us out of the boards as a “waste of money” but we insisted, and spent the money buying boards and fixings

S

Spare Tool

Not trying to get your back up James, I am working on a large job at the moment (over 200sqm) and there's nothing in writing at all. I visited site and quoted £# so much a metre there and then and they accepted..
There's no laws against a verbal quote that I know of, its a trust thing and am no expert on the law but think once work has commenced then your in a contract..you should have confirmed the price before he started and tbf he should have said the price would be going up for whatever reasons.. Judge Rinder would have a field day with this one

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
Not trying to get your back up James, I am working on a large job at the moment (over 200sqm) and there's nothing in writing at all. I visited site and quoted £# so much a metre there and then and they accepted..
There's no laws against a verbal quote that I know of, its a trust thing and am no expert on the law but think once work has commenced then your in a contract..you should have confirmed the price before he started and tbf he should have said the price would be going up for whatever reasons.. Judge Rinder would have a field day with this one

I have no problem with everyone’s opinions on this, but I’m sure if you needed to add a hefty chunk onto the verbal quote before work commenced, you would make sure you communicated this?

If he had confirmed the quote as he was going to invoice we would not have had the work done by him!

O

One Day

When you read up on the legality of verbal contracts, you are the party who has had 'consideration'. Unless you are confident that you can prove your verbal contract, it appears he has the upper hand here, if only slightly.

Lesson: always ALWAYS get it in writing. Even if it's only a text or email.

W

Waluigi

I think it shows the importance of a written quote, even if it’s a few lines in an email or even a text message.

That said, it’s unethical what he did IMO and is charging you well over the odds. That’s greed.

We can all be greedy but I like my greed to be listed out in a proper written Quotation, with Bullet points :D

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
When you read up on the legality of verbal contracts, you are the party who has had 'consideration'. Unless you are confident that you can prove your verbal contract, it appears he has the upper hand here, if only slightly.

Lesson: always ALWAYS get it in writing. Even if it's only a text or email.

We have had a lengthy email conversation since he invoiced where we discuss the quote being £420 and he did not communicate anything to the contrary, so i have that to prove the situation I guess

O

One Day

I think we're allowed ''scope creep" but only about 20% and then it should be fresh or revised contracts.

OP
James C

James C

TF
Reaction score
I think it shows the importance of a written quote, even if it’s a few lines in an email or even a text message.

That said, it’s unethical what he did IMO and is charging you well over the odds. That’s greed.

We can all be greedy but I like my greed to be listed out in a proper written Quotation, with Bullet points :D

For work we quote far higher day rates on our trades, but we QUOTE! Our clients can decline our quotes and go elsewhere.

Had this tiler quoted as he intended to invoice, I would have not accepted and we would have found another!

O

One Day

We have had a lengthy email conversation since he invoiced where we discuss the quote being £420 and he did not communicate anything to the contrary, so i have that to prove the situation I guess

This is your silver bullet. Pay him the agreed rate and forget him. If he threatens anything legal, you've got him.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
When did your backer boards turn up on the Saturday?
Was the tiler waiting for them and is that why he came back on the Sunday?

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
The spoken word flies but the written word remains.

Let it be a lesson to get EVERYTHING in writing.

Remember that quote and you won't go far wrong.

D

Dumbo

He is threatening “litigation” if I don’t pay him. I’m more than happy to pay the quoted amount. If he doesn’t have a legal standpoint to “send it to litigation” then I will stand firm and continue extending my offer to pay him what he quoted.

He also stated in his last email that the quote was “for cash”, doesn’t sound like the VAT man is getting any of that!
Well he is pretty stupid to put that in an email . You could use this as leverage

D

Dumbo

It’s just unpleasant to have to be this way. I do a job where we quote for complicated trades on technical projects, and we quote for everything in an email and get agreement before we book anything in. We always state on the quote that additional labour will be x per hour and materials are an estimation within 10% etc.

I guess I have to wait for a solicitors letter now!
If your work is done this way you should of thought it appropriate that work in your house is treated the same way .

Reply to Advice needed - tiler almost doubled verbal quote on invoice, never quoted in writing in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer