Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

I've never seen that happen to a tile either. My first impressions on this thread was that the skim had come off but it's obviously something odd happening

O

One Day

What are we actually seeing in the photos? Is it tile and adhesive? Plasterboard and adhesive? It's still not clear.
I see two layers but what are they??

O

One Day

so where's the evidence that it's bulged?
Surely to bulge, it has to increase mass somewhere. Either through absorption of water or moisture.
I am imagining this though:
Not suggesting the same process of course, but it looks the same effect to me?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Did your man apply the adhesive with a trowel or a shovel, in any case , that’s quite a spectacular failure

Reaction score
Hello All,
Yes, you have to see it to believe it.
The ceramic tiles have been bent or bulged by the adhesive to a point the tile has fractured.

The plaster wall is not affected.

The adhesive was applied with a 6mm notched trowel to the wall and the back of the tile. I agree there is a lot of adhesive. I am not saying this was the cause but it is like the application to the wall has shrunk more than the application to the back of the tile. However, the adhesive to the wall was applied at the same time as to the back of the tile and fitted in place on a tile but tile basis, so it is difficult to see this could be the issue unless it is just the amount of adhesive applied.

The analogy with a bi-metallic strip is correct and one that I use to explain the effect.

I would just reiterate the tiled showers were never used and have never had any water on them. The effect, bent or bulging, happened over a long time, weeks. The tiling was fine for the first week or so and then for weeks afterwards I would hear cracking not knowing what was happening or where it was coming from.

The photos show the tile and adhesive only.

I have added some more photos below for your interest.

20181028_094449.jpg 2018-10-28 09.45.19.jpg 2018-10-28 09.45.40.jpg 2018-10-28 09.45.47.jpg 20181028_093826.jpg

D

Dumbo

What adhesive did he use . Was it a readmix or a bagged/powder adhesive. Also what make are those tiles / where did you get them from .

Reaction score
What adhesive did he use . Was it a readmix or a bagged/powder adhesive. Also what make are those tiles / where did you get them from .

It was a quick set powder adhesive
Uniflex White Wall & Floor Tile Adhesive 20kg

I got the tiles and adhesive from wallsandfloors. I understand many, many tiles of this make and type has been sold without any issue. I have tested the tiles for expansion and contraction and wetting them so see if I can detect any movement, but I can not detect anything. I would say the tiles are ok as far as I know. Well! I hope so because I have bought some more to redo the showers with a slow set adhesive and a different tiler so I can cut out all the elements I can change in the hope the issue will not be repeated. I am not blaming the supplier here or the tiler for that matter as it remains somewhat inconclusive.
I do feel that if the adhesive is so susceptible to whatever this issue is, then I question its use and purpose or at least there should be some highlighted warning on the bag directing the tiler to specific use instructions. I understand Norcros make the adhesive.

O

Old Mod

Do you have any unused tiles?
Could you upload a couple of images of them if you have them, face to face too, similar to the images you previously posted.
Thanks.

O

Old Mod

Does that mean you’ve consulted with
Walls & Floors, what was their take on the situation?

Reply to Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks