Discuss Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

very (overly?) strong adhesive, with a weak biscuit and strong glaze.
Hmm, could I suppose act like bi-metalic strips.
Only though, if the fault was with the biscuit of the tile.
I would expect (as I suspect Marc does too) that the tiles are already slightly bowed before fixing.

I

Italy

It was a quick set powder adhesive
Uniflex White Wall & Floor Tile Adhesive 20kg

I got the tiles and adhesive from wallsandfloors. I understand many, many tiles of this make and type has been sold without any issue. I have tested the tiles for expansion and contraction and wetting them so see if I can detect any movement, but I can not detect anything. I would say the tiles are ok as far as I know. Well! I hope so because I have bought some more to redo the showers with a slow set adhesive and a different tiler so I can cut out all the elements I can change in the hope the issue will not be repeated. I am not blaming the supplier here or the tiler for that matter as it remains somewhat inconclusive.
I do feel that if the adhesive is so susceptible to whatever this issue is, then I question its use and purpose or at least there should be some highlighted warning on the bag directing the tiler to specific use instructions. I understand Norcros make the adhesive.
try with the hot and cold shock.
put them in the freezer and check the planarity
Then the heat and check the flatness

O

Old Mod

I do know one person that could possibly shed some light on this issue.

His name is Colin Stanyard, he’s a technical guy at Domus Tiles Clerkenwell, he also worked as a tech guy at Mapei Adhesives, so if anyone may have an insight, it could be Colin.
I’ve no idea if he would or even could advise because of their corporate policies, but I’d say it was worth a shot.
There’s no real point making the call myself as there will be questions I just won’t be able to answer, and then it just gets complicated.
But that’s exactly where I would start trying to unravel what’s happened.

Domus - https://domusgroup.com/

Please let us know if this avenue of enquiry proves fruitful, it would be interesting to know Colin’s thoughts on it.

Reaction score
The tiles are flat. I have tried the hot cold treatment and there is no change to be detected visually.

2018-10-28 11.19.20.jpg 2018-10-28 11.20.08.jpg

Reaction score
Does that mean you’ve consulted with
Walls & Floors, what was their take on the situation?

Wallandfloors were very helpful, they organized the Norcros tech guy to come out to view the issue. Please see first posting for their initial reply. The tech guy would not comment formally, his job was a fact-finding position only, so I was told, and I would have to wait for the formal lab tests. Apart from the issues stated in the first post which he did state was not the issue that caused the problem. However, when the report came through it was just reiteration of the tech guys informal site comments. There was nothing technical within the report or lab reports done that I was aware of. I was very disappointed with the Norcros report, it was very inconclusive with lots of 'could be the issue' suggestions. I believe Norcros probably know exactly what the issue is but refuse to state it as it might make them liable, but this is a guess. I can only draw a conclusion from how they have responded. I did respectfully reply to their report and they did not respond.

All I can say is like many people here I have never seen anything like this before and it is a shame I can not get a definitive conclusion to the issue.

Thank you all for your help

T

Time's Ran Out

With the photos that you’ve shown us, and I don’t think anyone on here can quite believe what we are seeing, IMHO it is certainly a tile issue!
No ceramic should bend like that so it must be a manufacturing issue and they are the people that need to do the tests and are liable.
TTA and name and shame if no conclusion drawn.
I can see this going further to your benefit.

Reaction score
With the photos that you’ve shown us, and I don’t think anyone on here can quite believe what we are seeing, IMHO it is certainly a tile issue!
No ceramic should bend like that so it must be a manufacturing issue and they are the people that need to do the tests and are liable.
TTA and name and shame if no conclusion drawn.
I can see this going further to your benefit.

Well, I have purchased the same tile again from the same supplier, ( so they must be confident it is not the tile, I assume) to redo the showers using a different tiler and adhesive. With the process of elimination, I will get closer to the problem.
I will report back once the showers are redone and let you know if the problem returns.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was the plaster dry? How hot is it in the house, ive seen plaster and render bulge internal with excessive heat and drying far too quick?

W

Waluigi

This is what I was thinking, very porous tiles, rapidset and a huge amount of shrinking.

Unlikely that it would happen so long after installation though IMO.

No idea. Baffling. It’s all just speculation on my part.

Reaction score
Was the plaster dry? How hot is it in the house, ive seen plaster and render bulge internal with excessive heat and drying far too quick?

It's a newly built house, everything was bone dry. It was tiled in the summer so just normal summer heat here in the UK. The tiles are not in direct sunlight.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have seen this before. The first time was a wall above a bath which backed on to the airing cupboard.
The paint was not removed (young and inexperienced) Weber rapid set was used.
The paint delaminated from the wall and left nothing for the adhesive to hold on to so it curled the tile. It was very bulged.
It did not appear to start for about 3 months. It started to be noted when the glaze cracked like a crackle glaze tile and continued until full desalination.
The adhesive was up to 7mm in the centre of the wall due to uneven plaster.

Reply to Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks