Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

The tiles are about to fall off!
Mist coat of emulsion 100% the problem and water may have now got in behind tiles.
All to come off!

O

One Day

I've been tiling a long time, attended to many failures and I've never seen adhesive bulge.
I've seen tenting, where expansion pops tiles off and can look like bulging.
I would wager this is what you have here.

P

Perfect Tiling

As above....paint behind this size of tile in a shower is a no no. Destined to fail from the start.....they need to come off before they fall off and damage the tray. If there is still paint on the plasterboard it needs to come off or the plasterboard be replaced then tanked to the tray before tiling. Don't tank over any paint or you could still have problems down the line. You'll probably need a different tiler.....if this one did this then he wont have a clue about tanking....

Reaction score
Just a quick follow up on this.

The tiles have stick to the adhesive, the adhesive has bulged causing delamination from the wall.

Bulging adhesive.
Jobdone said "Excessive bed depth can cause the tile to bulge and crack on ceramic tiles when it cures and delaminates from the paint." I think this is possibly correct.

Form the photos you can see how much the tiles and adhesive have bulged.

I wanted to record this here should anyone else have the same problem.

Thank you for all your replies.

20181027_153326.jpg 20181027_153542.jpg

F

Flintstone

I've never seen that happen to a tile either. My first impressions on this thread was that the skim had come off but it's obviously something odd happening

O

One Day

What are we actually seeing in the photos? Is it tile and adhesive? Plasterboard and adhesive? It's still not clear.
I see two layers but what are they??

Reply to Adhesive bulging problem in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen