Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss which adhesive for encaustic cement tiles on wall? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Ardorban

Hi there
I want to put 1m2 of encaustic 13mm Moroccan cement tiles on a painted wall behind cooker in our kitchen. Please can someone advise me which is a good adhesive to use, preferably ready mixed? I know I need to seal them once up and cut with a diamond saw. Thank you for all your help,
Dee

M

MTiler

You need to get rid of as much of the paint as possible and roughen the surface so the adhesive has a 'key' to grip. Use an acrylic primer. You will need to use a cement based adhesive, something like Mapei Keraflex Maxi is good. Make sure adhesive is completely dry before you seal them. if youre grouting them use a fine grout. Dark grouts can stain. They can be easily cut with a diamond blade on a grinder.

Sharon

F

Flintstone

Are you sure they are propper encaustic tiles and not a porcelain tile with an encaustic looking print on ? 13mm doesn't sound all that thick

A

Ardorban

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply. Yes definitely crumbly back encaustic they are special 13mm rather than 18mm so a bit lighter for walls.

B

Bill

You could use ardex D30 with the ardex WPC.......after you have scraped all the paint off of course...... if you really need ready mix adhesive.

A

Ardorban

You need to get rid of as much of the paint as possible and roughen the surface so the adhesive has a 'key' to grip. Use an acrylic primer. You will need to use a cement based adhesive, something like Mapei Keraflex Maxi is good. Make sure adhesive is completely dry before you seal them. if youre grouting them use a fine grout. Dark grouts can stain. They can be easily cut with a diamond blade on a grinder.

Sharon

Sharon,

Sharon
thank you Sharon, so I rough up the wall to provide a key, but do I need to put an acrylic primer on as you suggest on?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Encaustic tiles and cooking oil (from a Wok).....not the best combination IMHO.

A stand alone cooker (like a Range?), then screw a batten to the wall as the tiles are heavy (compared to ceramic tiles of the same size).

Be aware that the sides of the encaustic tile is not pretty, especially if it's going to be a cut tile.

As stated above, you must use a white powdered adhesive and leave to fully cure (a few days). You must work clean because the tiles you have chosen are very much prone to staining. They are very soft too.

"Lithofin stain stop" is the sealer I would use. These tiles will soak up the sealer....just follow the instructions on the can.

Good luck with your project, and don't forget to post your pics!

A

Ardorban

Finally did it thanks to advice particularly from misstiler - thank you!
IMG_20170906_173845714.jpg

A

Ardorban

So mean . Ok I’ll take it on the chin, but first tiling I’ve ever done and I like off centre , more real. Or I was trying to minimise cutting!

Now I know how skilled tiling is, can anyone recommend a tiler for about 10 sq metre of bathroom tiling in NW2 in mid Feb?

Reply to which adhesive for encaustic cement tiles on wall? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks