Search the forum,

Discuss What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Maybe the problem could be deflection in the floor...i know in the usa sometimes your tile installer has to do a deflection test first....just a thought ......

There are several reasons for the cracking of grout joints including:-
1. Deflection within the substrate e.g. plywood which has not been sufficiently well supported.
2. Moisture expansion where boards are not water resistant and are therefore not dimensionally stable enough in changing moisture conditions.
3. Poor installation e.g. tiles not adequately bonded to the substrate resulting in loose tiles.
4. The use of a proprietary grout in tile joints which exceed the maximum width of the recommended joints by the grout manufacturer. i.e. drying shrinkage.
5. Joints which have not been completely filled with grout during installation, leaving voids where grout will not be adequately supported underneath the joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

Lyn Daves got it right again :thumbsup: i think flexible gout may make the difference certainly worth a try better than the alterative Pete

Reply to What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen