Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

best job lyn is to remove the old grout and get him to re-do the whole floor ..then there will be no difference in grout colour....even if its the same make lyn , flexible grout dries different to normal anyway........

G

GazTech

The grout must be replaced throughout,one mix is never the same as another...all old grout must be totally removed...hope this helps....Gaz
----
SNAP !!!..........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lyn

Grout caulk

Thanks for your professional advice!:yes:

But what about the grout caulk? Is that a good or bad idea to use? The grout lines are 1/4 inches. Since we have hairline cracks throughout the project, I read that grout caulk might be better to avoid further cracking.

Have you used it and should I consider it?

Lyn

D

DHTiling

it would be a very expensive way of doin it lyn..plus its not a lifetime product....it can deteriorate when washing the floor with detergents etc....

L

Lyn

flexible grout-- really the solution?

The porcelain tile appears to be holding up well. But the hairline cracks are scattered throughout the job. I figure it must be from some movement to have caused it. Will the flexible grout really make a difference? I'm afraid he will redo the whole floor and we might see it crack again.

Lyn :huh2:

D

DHTiling

Maybe the problem could be deflection in the floor...i know in the usa sometimes your tile installer has to do a deflection test first....just a thought ......

There are several reasons for the cracking of grout joints including:-
1. Deflection within the substrate e.g. plywood which has not been sufficiently well supported.
2. Moisture expansion where boards are not water resistant and are therefore not dimensionally stable enough in changing moisture conditions.
3. Poor installation e.g. tiles not adequately bonded to the substrate resulting in loose tiles.
4. The use of a proprietary grout in tile joints which exceed the maximum width of the recommended joints by the grout manufacturer. i.e. drying shrinkage.
5. Joints which have not been completely filled with grout during installation, leaving voids where grout will not be adequately supported underneath the joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

Lyn Daves got it right again :thumbsup: i think flexible gout may make the difference certainly worth a try better than the alterative Pete

Reply to What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks