Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Lyn

Hello all,
I have a porcelain tile floor that runs through a large kitchen, dining area, hallway and bathroom. The subflooring is thick enough with no noticeable motion. The tiles appear very secure. The floor was laid about 6 months ago. There are now hair line cracks in the grout throughout the project. They are not in one particular area. They run mostly from the corners of the tile. The tiler was surprised by the cracking grout and he plans on removing the grout to replace it. He said he wants to put in a flexible grout. What type of flexible grout do you recommend?:confused:

Y

youngcam

All flexible grouts should work if the manufacturers instructions have been follwed.If they have then get them to send a rep out to look at it.
I normally use WEBER FLOOR GROUT and there AD FLEX ADMIX(think its called AD230)FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND YOU``LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS.GROUT 4 TILE AT A TIME THEN WASH OFF THOROUGHLY.

S

sc24

go the bal grout +gti additive route, more flexible and stronger than readymixed flexi-grouts

D

DHTiling

Because it is a porcelain tile,flexible grout should have been used anyway as normal grout doesnt bond to the tile edges of porcelain........dave....

D

davy_G

What size are the grout lines, sounds like narrow grout may have been used in larger lines?

L

Lyn

did he not use flexible grout in the first place...?

No, he didn't.

What size are the grout lines, sounds like narrow grout may have been used in larger lines?
The lines aren't large. He used Mae pei ultracolor grout. He's been tiling for 20 years, so it seems he would know what he's doing...:sad_smile:

Because it is a porcelain tile,flexible grout should have been used anyway as normal grout doesnt bond to the tile edges of porcelain........dave....

I actually wondered about that. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Bal wide joint with gt1 additive.....Gaz

Do you know if Bal is available in the United States? I've looked on line and haven't seen it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

no probs..deffo flexi grout with porcelain tiles.........dave..:)
----
If you contact bal direct they will let you know who there suppliers if any are in the usa.........dave..

mailto:[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lyn

All flexible grouts should work if the manufacturers instructions have been follwed.If they have then get them to send a rep out to look at it.
I normally use WEBER FLOOR GROUT and there AD FLEX ADMIX(think its called AD230)FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND YOU``LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS.GROUT 4 TILE AT A TIME THEN WASH OFF THOROUGHLY.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice!

D

DHTiling

sorry lyn , it was just my terminology there..i meant he should definitely have used flexible grout or normal grout with an additive .......dave..

L

Lyn

Replacing grout this week and grout caulk

Hello all,
You were very helpful to me concerning this new tile job done in my kitchen, hallway and bathroom with a porcelain tile. The grout has hairline cracks throughout the project. The tiler said he would replace the grout with flexible grout.

He is scheduled to finally come this Wednesday, November 14. I am concerned that he might try to convince us to let him fix sections of the floor rather than the entire job, since there are some areas that aren't cracked.

I have two concerns. First, I fear the color will be different and noticeable. Second, is it true that when you pull grout out in a section and replace it with new grout, that there may be a tendency for the grout to crack again where the old and the new meet?

Also, I read something about a grout caulk that works if the grout line isn't more than 1/4 inch. Since we have hairline cracking throughout the floor, I'm wondering if this would be a good idea.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Lyn

Reply to What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks