Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian Mosaic Pathway question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mozart1812

Interesting post. A true renovation would follow the original skills to achieve the same finished result. Most of BS5385 relates to current tiling practice, which is thin bed tiling. The originals were laid using a thick bed of adhesive. So, in the interests of authenticity, why not use the original method of tiling the path?
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the guidance. I think this is perhaps why I'm up against the divide in that the majority understandably adhere to current tiling practices for a 19th century look and feel. The original method seems the way forward so thank you again.

M

Mozart1812

Who's supplying the tiles? I've used Original Style extensively over the years and as good as they are there's no way they can be butt jointed. There's always variation in sizes between the different colours and shapes. Especially after production moved out of the UK some years back. Same goes for Olde English Tile Company and London Mosaics imo. The concerns you have over the recently laid butt jointed path is valid. Water getting between and under the tiles and freezing is the biggest concern.
Hi Rich,
The tiles have already been purchased from Original Style and they are being amazingly helpful and completely understand what we want to achieve. The vast amount of their tiles can be butt-jointed since we've dry laid the tiles although there are some that are slightly out although we having this resolved.

M

Mozart1812

I'd have no qualms about butt jointing the tiles (1mm) paper joint and using a suitable outside adhesive. The base would have to be prepared properly the tiles I would have to cut to size and as they would be solid bed fixed you would have no concerns re 'lifting'.
What I would observe however is the setting out and sizes of your photo shown. There should be complete symmetry inside and outside of the design with full/half pieces being the norm and not cut as in that case. It looks as though he's done the perimeter frame and filled in the mat!! Doesn't look very authentic to me.
Just my opinion of course.
Hi John,
I'm in complete agreement with you on the authenticity and to the inexperienced, this hopefully would not be noticeable. I had grave concerns on the method of starting with the border and in-laying the centre which in my opinion should have complete symmetry with the borders merely filling the void.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Rich,
The tiles have already been purchased from Original Style and they are being amazingly helpful and completely understand what we want to achieve. The vast amount of their tiles can be butt-jointed since we've dry laid the tiles although there are some that are slightly out although we having this resolved.
Good to hear, looks like they may have upped their game with regards to both customer service and manufacturing quality control. Best of luck with the project.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am not a great fan of Original style tiles for outside! They have a level of porosity that porcelain doesn't have and they need upkeep/sealing. They would need to be laid on a sub base with run off to stop freeze thaw. I certainly wouldn't expect them to last the 100 years of original tiles.

D

Dumbo

Call me inexperienced in these matters I appreciate they could be laid butt jointed on a solid bed but if they are done like this isn't still possible to get some water ingress between tiles which when it freezes will have a negative impact on the tiles over a period of time and is possible the reason for original instalation failing any way , albeit that it has lasted a long time .

T

Tile Shop

I'd be guessing that TJ would be asking for the compensation, for the incredible inconvenience it would cause him to go back and do the repairs 100 years on!

Reply to Victorian Mosaic Pathway question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen