Search the forum,

Discuss Using Rubi TS 60 plus for snapping 45° cuts - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I know I should be able to use this but today I couldn't work it out.

I tried to no avail to do a 45° cut on a porcelin tile. The technique I used was to line the score up with the rails then try to use the breaker with the edge of the tile at 45° to the top rail.

Obviously I was OK scoring them but the problem I had was breaking along the score line without damaging the tile.

I'm assuming that this isn't correct and that I should simply position the tile up to the top rail so that the score line runs over the breaking mechanism?

Thanks

G

Gazzer

This is where you could do with a cutter with a moveable breaker such as the TX range or Sigma types

O

Olz

I struggle with the Husky sometimes, it has a moveable breaker but the rails flex if you move too far away from either end of them.

C

cornish_crofter

This is where you could do with a cutter with a moveable breaker such as the TX range or Sigma types

So, I've just spent £180 on a tile cutter that can't do something that my £20 one could????

Surely not!

D

DHTiling

Score and lightly tap the tile on the score line over the handle......The harder the tile the less chance you can snap them on 45 in a TS....The TR and TX range are very efficent for this type of cutting....

I have TS/TR and TX cutters.....always prepared for what ever tile i come across.( hopefully)....:lol:

C

cornish_crofter

Would it work if I positioned the score line over the 'needle' with the tile up against the guard, even if the score line is 45 degrees off?

C

cornish_crofter

I'll give it a go tomorrow on some scrap tiles if I get a chance.

TBH it's a pretty poor show for Rubi if it doesn't :mad2:

G

Gazzer

I'll give it a go tomorrow on some scrap tiles if I get a chance.

TBH it's a pretty poor show for Rubi if it doesn't :mad2:

I dont think so.
The TS range has been around in that form for many years and before porcelain tiles were common.
Since the coming of porcelain tiles Rubi have come up with the TR and TX range ( and TS, TT , Sigma type) to cover all types of tiles.

C

cornish_crofter

OK, maybe I'm expecting too much from it.

TBH my customer did rather suprise me with the porcelain. I still managed to cut them with the wet cutter.

I went for the TS plus, rather than the TS. I suspect I'll start tiling more with ceramics again in the future.

The TS 60 Plus managed them fine along straight cuts, though cutting 50mm off along their 600mm length did pose a challenge. I found a sharp plunge rather than a gentle squeeze on the braking handle gave me better results.

Thanks for all the replies.

C

cornish_crofter

I tried on a scrap piece of porselain tile today.

I cut at 45° and then offered the tile with its edge up to the bar at the top. I then positioned the score line at at an angle. It did snap along the line except for at the top, where it interefered with the top part of the breaking mechanism.

I would be grateful for a peek at that video though David.

Reply to Using Rubi TS 60 plus for snapping 45° cuts - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen