Search the forum,

Discuss Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I would agree - however they had broken tiles and wanted me to fix and investigate - and this is what i have found. Now the issue is doing a temporary fix for them . I cant leave them in the lurch and it must be possible to fix temporarily until they get the budget to

The problem is Dan the bitumen is not something you can scrape off otherwise as you say i would have sorted. Now I know that it is 99% Impey - i can ring them for advice on doing a remedial job.
The customer is not selling but understands the issues and knows I am not trying to bodge or dodge but clearly he is facing massive expense so he will have to budget for that. In the meantime though - he needs a short term fix which he understands. His rooms are 12 square meters each tiled floor to ceiling so big cost considerations here.
so come on wake up the cost of bodging four is the cost of putting one wright .so oh my god they have to share one bathroom welcome to the real world .every step you take digs a bigger hole .my dad told me when you are in sh%(" up to your neck spare a thought for the poor bast%ard your standing on there all standing on you but will they think the same .

S

SJPurdy

Can we take this as more proof that the Impey stuff isn't suitable to tile onto? Although to be fair it appears to have held the water on top of it and protected the chipboard underneath.

Reaction score
Are these floors/wet rooms down stairs ?...
Hi Dave - this one is the worst - 2 downstairs 2 upstairs - but only 1 cracked tile to replace upstairs. The owner know it is a poor installation not done to spec but they bought the house from the previous owner and dd not have this work done themselves. As you can imagine its worrying for them that they may have to rip them all out sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
What have you done to check it's not a floater?

I have seen underneath another tile I have lifted that it is the chipboard floor underneath. In this case i can see on one side 6mm ply then UFH then tile, in the middle there is nothing but the join of the chipboard (which is why the tile cracked i guess) and on the other side is the impey membrane. I have also checked for position of joists by looking underneath the floor in an inspection hatch in the hall. There is also a solid wooden floor laid directly on chipboard and tiles in the hall cracked to hell as they are on just the chipboard.

Reply to Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen