Discuss Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All
I am trying to fix some broken tiles in a couple of wet rooms in a customers house. When I took up the first few tiles they seem to be on some kind of rubber/ bitumen elastic membrane which I have never seen before. Have any of you seen this before and how should I go about fixing the new tiles? I have attached a couple of photos.
This membrane has been fitted directly to the chipboard and the tiles were loose. Some others have cracked as predicted as they were fixed directly to chipboard! Unbelieveably the customer has 6 bathrooms all tiled the same way and the hall is also tiled directly onto chipboard! The customer knows that the new tiles will crack as well eventually but just needs a serviceable short term solution.
I would be very grateful for your views. Thanks in advance!

August 15 266.jpg
August 15 266.jpg
August 15 266.jpg August 15 268.jpg
August 15 268.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The chipboard needs to come up and be replaced with ply and ditra.

Or perhaps ply and aqua panel or something.

That needs to go in bin though that.

P

p4ulo

Doesn't look like it goes underneath the wall tiles, so its not properly "tanked" for a wetroom.
Sheesh, looks like a right pickle.

Reaction score
Your absolutely right P4ulo and all the wetrooms are the same. I think the black rubbery stuff is an attempt to keep the chipboard dry ! The worst thing is that it has underfloor heating as well so eventually they will have major problems.

P

p4ulo

Oh Jeez!!! Sounds like its gonna have to all come out to do a proper job mate, at least the floor and 3 courses of wall tiles to put down a proper tanking??

Reaction score
I would agree - the only problem is that he has 4 wetrooms so big bucks - but maybe nice for me!

In the meantime though how can i fix tiles to that black stuff? Flexible adhesive like rapid set ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We concentrate a bit too much on what it is. When the solution is the same.

If you want to tile in there, that needs to come out and you want to ply it, waterproof it, and tile it.

Doesn't matter too much what it is now its destroyed.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
The black stuff is a cement based waterproofing coat. Such as ardex WPC.

Unfortunately there is no shirt term solution. If the waterproofing is compromised then it's gonna leak.
Certainly if it's on chipboard too.

If your client isn't looking to redo the wetroom then the only solution other than a rip out is to install a shower tray in the area. One with is on legs, breakout the floor to extend the waste.
Still bot a small job, but that wetarea if not sorted properly will force them to rip out sooner than they'd of hoped for.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree - the only problem is that he has 4 wetrooms so big bucks - but maybe nice for me!

In the meantime though how can i fix tiles to that black stuff? Flexible adhesive like rapid set ?
You're going to tile that?

Is it going to be a wetroom / bathroom?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Dan - I am only trying to do a short term fix - his other tiles were broken - because there is no sub floor or ply or ditra etc!
It's going to happen again if there isn't preparation too mate.

I wouldn't bodge 4 bathrooms is it?

Your name is next to them. Sod being known as the guy to call when a bodge job is needed.

Rather you than me matey.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Bri - it looks like it could be Impey. I am just wondering what sort of primer i need for it - BAL APD or something else?
If you're winging it, just scrape it all off, sand it. Prime it and tile it.

But then what's the point of the thread you'd have done that anyway?

Surely if you show the customer it's going to happen again they'll want it done right? Which is cheaper long term?

Are they selling the property or something?

Reply to Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks