Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
How short term? 48 hours??

I'd rather tile a trampoline than try to tosh that up.
Try not to get starry eyed with the potential of more wetrooms to do. Clients have a tendency to get funny when water is peeing through their ceiling. Regardless of what they may say or imply beforehand.

I think brutal honesty is more likely to win you future work to be honest.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi All
I am trying to fix some broken tiles in a couple of wet rooms in a customers house. When I took up the first few tiles they seem to be on some kind of rubber/ bitumen elastic membrane which I have never seen before. Have any of you seen this before and how should I go about fixing the new tiles? I have attached a couple of photos.
This membrane has been fitted directly to the chipboard and the tiles were loose. Some others have cracked as predicted as they were fixed directly to chipboard! Unbelieveably the customer has 6 bathrooms all tiled the same way and the hall is also tiled directly onto chipboard! The customer knows that the new tiles will crack as well eventually but just needs a serviceable short term solution.
I would be very grateful for your views. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 75253 View attachment 75253 View attachment 75253 View attachment 75254 View attachment 75254
ok the the client needs a short term solution well how many times have i heard this and walked away
so lets turn the truth glass on .i am going to sell this house and need it to look good .and the poor sucker who buys it will have to sort this out .now think you have saved hard to buy your new house pushed your self to the limit .with in weeks you are faced with huge bills on your bathrooms the wife is blaming you the pressurs gets to great the mariage breaks downs kids with out a dad and so on .and you played apart in this .if the work you do you would not do in your own home .then never do it .

Reaction score
It's going to happen again if there isn't preparation too mate.

I wouldn't bodge 4 bathrooms is it?

Your name is next to them. Sod being known as the guy to call when a bodge job is needed.

Rather you than me matey.
I would agree - however they had broken tiles and wanted me to fix and investigate - and this is what i have found. Now the issue is doing a temporary fix for them . I cant leave them in the lurch and it must be possible to fix temporarily until they get the budget to
If you're winging it, just scrape it all off, sand it. Prime it and tile it.

But then what's the point of the thread you'd have done that anyway?

Surely if you show the customer it's going to happen again they'll want it done right? Which is cheaper long term?

Are they selling the property or something?

The problem is Dan the bitumen is not something you can scrape off otherwise as you say i would have sorted. Now I know that it is 99% Impey - i can ring them for advice on doing a remedial job.
The customer is not selling but understands the issues and knows I am not trying to bodge or dodge but clearly he is facing massive expense so he will have to budget for that. In the meantime though - he needs a short term fix which he understands. His rooms are 12 square meters each tiled floor to ceiling so big cost considerations here.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Do the other four wetrooms he has then have issues the make them U/S?

What you do is down to you. But for me it's rip out and redo the Wetarea or cut in a stone shower tray.
Anything else is in fact Tennis! In typical fashion, rained off!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I would agree - however they had broken tiles and wanted me to fix and investigate - and this is what i have found. Now the issue is doing a temporary fix for them . I cant leave them in the lurch and it must be possible to fix temporarily until they get the budget to

The problem is Dan the bitumen is not something you can scrape off otherwise as you say i would have sorted. Now I know that it is 99% Impey - i can ring them for advice on doing a remedial job.
The customer is not selling but understands the issues and knows I am not trying to bodge or dodge but clearly he is facing massive expense so he will have to budget for that. In the meantime though - he needs a short term fix which he understands. His rooms are 12 square meters each tiled floor to ceiling so big cost considerations here.
so come on wake up the cost of bodging four is the cost of putting one wright .so oh my god they have to share one bathroom welcome to the real world .every step you take digs a bigger hole .my dad told me when you are in sh%(" up to your neck spare a thought for the poor bast%ard your standing on there all standing on you but will they think the same .

S

SJPurdy

Can we take this as more proof that the Impey stuff isn't suitable to tile onto? Although to be fair it appears to have held the water on top of it and protected the chipboard underneath.

Reaction score
Are these floors/wet rooms down stairs ?...
Hi Dave - this one is the worst - 2 downstairs 2 upstairs - but only 1 cracked tile to replace upstairs. The owner know it is a poor installation not done to spec but they bought the house from the previous owner and dd not have this work done themselves. As you can imagine its worrying for them that they may have to rip them all out sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
What have you done to check it's not a floater?

I have seen underneath another tile I have lifted that it is the chipboard floor underneath. In this case i can see on one side 6mm ply then UFH then tile, in the middle there is nothing but the join of the chipboard (which is why the tile cracked i guess) and on the other side is the impey membrane. I have also checked for position of joists by looking underneath the floor in an inspection hatch in the hall. There is also a solid wooden floor laid directly on chipboard and tiles in the hall cracked to hell as they are on just the chipboard.

Reply to Unsure how to fix tiles to this substrate in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks