Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven Tiled Floor - Is this bad workmanship? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

Zoggy

Hi
I have just posted a thread looking for an experienced tiler to come round and give me advice/quote me for a job to fix or re-tile a badly tiled floor
But just after reading and looking pictures of a thread about an uneven floor I really think my tiler has completely bodged my floor.
the area was 45 sq metres and most of the tiles are different heights, I have done the test with a ruler and coin and some are around 2mm difference and quite a few are around 3- 3.5 mm difference.
The kitchen/diner was an extension and my builder was first class in every area, the plastering, screeding etc is to a very high standard so I believe the floor was even.
the tiler was independent to the builder and was recommended to me by a friend so I really think its the result of the tiler and not an uneven floor.
We are hitting our toes on the uneven tiles and there are different height gaps along the skirting and there isn't alot of grout between the tiles, mostly it just looks a mess and its really upset me.
As I said the area was 45 sq metres and took the guy 5 days, he also had an older man that he bought round and helped him for the 5 days. I paid £900 for the labour. Bought and paid for the tiles and grout separately and also he gave me separate bill for £100 for other materials he purchased (he came round a few days before and put some wet material on the concrete floor)

Any advice would be great

I'm trying to upload more but this example goes on every 8 tiles

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 467
G

Gazzer

Not looking good and that grout looks very low ??
£20 m2 and 2 people on the job. Quite a slow fixing rate ?
Regardless of the condition of the floor the tiles should not be like that. It would be up to the fixer to say if the floor needed and further prep work including SLC.

C

CJ CERAMICS

if the rest of the floor is like this then it needs to be ripped up and relayed. did the tiler stagger alot and slurr his words(hic):8:the bad news is that it will cost you more to rip up and refit than the original fitting. you should call the tiler if you haven't already and tell him you need this fixing. 45 sqm on a new flat floor with nothing in i would kill for that.
chris

D

doug boardley

if that's an example of the whole floor then you do have reason to be miffed, not good:thumbsdown:, the wet material he put on the floor? was it levelling compound,ie grey cementy slurry looking stuff?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is presumably a "reasonable expectation of levelness" with tiles as there is with Substrates. I assume that if the substrate is SR1 the tiles will generally follow it. I would have thought it difficult to get this wrong unless the substrate prep needed improving wherein as Sir Ramic says the tiler shoudl have informed you.

Get him back to sort it says I

D

Daz

I can see why you are dissapointed - it don't look good :yikes:.

You need to get the tiler back, in the first instance, to discuss matters. His comments will detrmine your next course of action.

Did you supply the adhesive?
You need to know what prep work was carried out and what materials were used.

It looks as though the floor needs to come up and be totally redone so you may have a fight on your hands - why should you pay???

Z

Zoggy

I'm not sure what he put down before as we went living in the the house, but was told I couldn't walk on it for a few days
here are some more pictures

what would have been the going rate for a 45 sq metre job (just labour) I know its hard to say as tilers charge different depending on their location, north-south of england
but he assured me a first class job. I'm not a tiler so I didn't ask certain questions at the beginning like will the tiles be even etc I just expected it to be a well laid floor like I see around other people's houses and in shops, resturants and its clearly not, its only when the kitchen and skirting was fitted and we moved back in I saw how bad it was, as I said we catch our toes and the foot of the hoover is always banging over the edges

Z

Zoggy

sorry here are the extra pictures

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 3.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 343
F

Fred

How many quotes did you get for the job? What was this tilers price compared to the other quotes? And, why did you end up chosing this tiler...work of mouth, good communication on quoting etc?

Reply to Uneven Tiled Floor - Is this bad workmanship? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen