Search the forum,

Discuss trowel size in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simmy08

Hi, im just about to start tiling a bathroom suite on top of old cermaics. im going to use bal white star. i have always used an 8mm nothced trowel for wall tiling but have decided to go with what the tub says. For white star it says i should be using a notched trowel in dry areas ans solid bed in wet. its says maximum bed thickness 3mm!!? does that mean i have to use a 3mm trowel or is that just the bed thickness of when the adhesive is pressed by tile? if so what trowel do i use to ensure a 3mm thick bed? thanks

D

DHTiling

Hello simmy....before you go any further, what size tile is it you are using..?

D

DHTiling

That is right on the limit for tubbed gear...It will take longer for the adhesisve to dry towards the centre of the tiles...IMO i think you would better off using a cement based adhesive..:thumbsup: And with the cement based adhesive you can use the bigger notch trowel to get good coverage without worry about going over that 3mm bed.

G

garretridge

i tile over tile quite often (i know not good practise but customers try to save money so dont turn the work away) and would never use tub stuff daves right cement addy is a must and sugar soap the old tiles first to clean any residue of the surface! :thumbsup:

Reply to trowel size in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen