Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Merry Christmas everyone ! Just a quickie before we all break up, a customer of mine is installing wet ufh in his bathroom and has been advised to top this with 6mm play and tile onto that with flexi addy. I know this to be not best practice but what would be the best solution. Would it be best to use a thin layer of slc or a cement board or just tile straight onto the polystyrene in which the pipes lay. All help appreciated. Cow.

C

cowgomoo

Good Afternoon Sir, I don't know which system it is. I will find out shortly but would it make any difference anyhow ? Cow.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've only used the Polypipe system, but that was under oak flooring, so not much help here.. Whatever system you're using, tiling straight onto the polystyrene sounds like a no no to me. I'm interested to hear what you come up with, because if it's the same system i used, i'd be stumped at how to make it solid enough to tile onto. ;)

R

Rich

I walked away from a job with a local builder because he had the same thing put down in the kitchen and wanted me to tile over the 6mm ply. He said that they used to use a cement board but it was taken off of the market and the only thing that they can replace it with is ply.

I dont care what the company say, tiling onto 6mm ply is not good enough IMO, I could move the boards up and down by pushing on them with my thumb.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
6mm ply will fail. Is there a screed over the heating if so why not tile direct to the screed. If there is not a screed how does the custmer intend to get any benefit from the heating system (e.g. reflector plates, biscuit mix etc etc)

R

Rich

If it was installed the same way as mine (I dont know if it was or not), there was no screed. Just pipes, poly foam stuff and then ply. I couldn't put together a worse floor to tile onto if I tried!

Reply to tiling over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen