Currently reading:
tiling over wet ufh

Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Merry Christmas everyone ! Just a quickie before we all break up, a customer of mine is installing wet ufh in his bathroom and has been advised to top this with 6mm play and tile onto that with flexi addy. I know this to be not best practice but what would be the best solution. Would it be best to use a thin layer of slc or a cement board or just tile straight onto the polystyrene in which the pipes lay. All help appreciated. Cow.

R

Rich

I walked away from a job with a local builder because he had the same thing put down in the kitchen and wanted me to tile over the 6mm ply. He said that they used to use a cement board but it was taken off of the market and the only thing that they can replace it with is ply.

I dont care what the company say, tiling onto 6mm ply is not good enough IMO, I could move the boards up and down by pushing on them with my thumb.

M

Mike

If it was installed the same way as mine (I dont know if it was or not), there was no screed. Just pipes, poly foam stuff and then ply. I couldn't put together a worse floor to tile onto if I tried!

Yeah it sounds like no screed, if there's joists it could be possible to lay 18 mm ply and tile on that. You'd probably lose heat due to the ply. If there's no joists then its floating, yikes

tapatalk on my HTC

beanz

TF
Berkshire
We did the entire downstairs of a house in the Polypipe system; overboarded with chipboard, then solid oak flooring. It took a while to get up to heat, but it did get there, so their 6mm Ply argument is crap! Ply directly onto the foam wouldn't work though, as there's no way to fix it down!?! I'm sure they do a version that can be screeded (when i say "sure", i mean that vaguely rings a bell lol!).

Reply to tiling over wet ufh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.