Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles sound hollow under underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan Field

Hi Guys,

I need help!! Basically I employed a cowboy and now there is a problem I can't contact him!

I had my floor tiled (over 200sqm) prior to turning the under floor heating on. Now the heating has been on and off for over a month the tiles sound hollow when I walk over them! I feel they will crack in time and I haven't moved in yet so need a quick solution!! Will i need to take all the tiles up? It's not all of them just 3/4.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
C'mon Kyle, don't mince your words mate! :p

Lot of pressure on this job Kyle, with the forum watching your every move. :D

There we go Alan,
a free inspection on offer for you. :)
I eat preasure for breakfast I'm the Conor McGregor of tiling .... we're not here to take part we're here to take over

O

One Day

200m2 with no expansion/movement joints! Even if everything else was done correctly this is wrong and could be the cause of adhesive bond failing and the tiles becoming loose.

Pretty sure that Ajax would say you don't need expansion joints actually. Anhydrite screed expands far less than usual. I'd still insist on ditra at that size though.
(yes, I know it's contrary to bs5385)

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
The most bullet-proof method I know is
1 Remove laitence
2 Vac thoroughly
3 One coat chosen primer diluted (to reduce absorbtion)
4 Fix ditra with tm anhyfix adhesive
5 Fix tiles using whatever you like to use.
6 Good job, well done, sleep easy.
I wonder if this guy is ever gonna come back online I was actually looking forward to goin to represent the tilersforums and let him know what's what

Reply to Tiles sound hollow under underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement