Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Lippage, is 2mm too much? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Phil Smith

Hello, I have started to tile my floor, cross bonded with 50cm x 15cm tiles.

The floor was leveled and screeded before hand so I am working from a relatively flat surface.

I would say 90% of the tiles are level, I run my finger over them and they feel about right.

But on some, there is a lip of between 1mm and 2mm.... 1mm I can live with but the 2mm ones are irritating me a little, but no matter I can't seem to get them perfect, is this because the floor isn't 100% level? Or has 1 uneven tile has thrown the ones around it out?

Anyway... my question is, is 2mm too much or will i not notice this when grouted, and is there a grouting tip which can hide this (bearing in mind i have never grouted in my life!)

View attachment 55829 View attachment 55831

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
your tiles maybe bowed, put 2 of them face to face, and see if there are any gaps, if so then they are bowed and tiling half bond it will be very difficult to get them dead flat.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Check the back of the tiles , , they may have a arrow on the back meaning that they shoud all be running the same way, if they are from the big diy places then they may well be twisted

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above, but also check the boxes. On some of the larger format tiles it now states on the boxes not to stagger the joints by more than 20% or so of the length. I've noticed this with Unicom, Rondine and Ibero I think.

Reply to Tile Lippage, is 2mm too much? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, I am about to start work on my first big tiling project in my ensuite. We have chosen...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen