• Thread starter GDJTAM
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 6K
Search the forum,

Discuss Spot Or Spread? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GDJTAM

I am in the process of tiling my kitchen wall with 298x498 ceramic tiles 9mm thick. They are going onto plastered walls that have been primed with Mapei solution.

I have received conflicting advice by fellow DIYers saying 5 spot the tile then stick it to the wall. Others say spread the adhesive on the tile then stick the tile onto the wall (good system for rapid setting adhesive?). lastly, and what I was going to do was to spread the wall in the area I'm comfortable to work at.

Also, with my size tiles what thickness should I spread the adhesive.

M

MTiler

NEVER 'dot & dab' on walls or floors its bad practise. Its recommended that a plastered substrate can safely hold 16kg per M2. Plastering a substrate halves the weight it can safely hold.
I wouldnt use a rapid set unless youre used to working with it, with large formats I tend to use a standard setting adhesive.
With large formats I tend to use a 6mm trowel and put adhesive on the walls and tiles for full coverage. Some will trowel the walls and scratch coat the back of the tile. Which ever way you do it you need full coverage, theyre large tiles and can do some damage if they fall off.

Reaction score
mr blobby.jpg

Sorry, Mr Blobby is not the way to tile.

F

Flintstone

I would suggest a 10 or 12mm square notch trowel. You can either put the adhesive on the wall with the trowel and skim the back of the tile with the flat edge to give it a light coat, or if your tiling a kitchen wall and can't get in very well with the trowel, apply the adhesive to the tile with the notch instead and give the wall a light skim over.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I am in the process of tiling my kitchen wall with 298x498 ceramic tiles 9mm thick. They are going onto plastered walls that have been primed with Mapei solution.

I have received conflicting advice by fellow DIYers saying 5 spot the tile then stick it to the wall. Others say spread the adhesive on the tile then stick the tile onto the wall (good system for rapid setting adhesive?). lastly, and what I was going to do was to spread the wall in the area I'm comfortable to work at.

Also, with my size tiles what thickness should I spread the adhesive.

I just never use rapid set especially on that kind of a job as it'll be gone off in the bucket when you turn back round after marking a cut!....always slow set for me unless I'm doing repair work......working with this size tile on average walls checking for high spots I would go 10mm serrated on wall and tile and work with a straight edge doing this spread off your high spot, get and edge onn every tile as you go applying amount of adhesive required to make good - ( slow set that is )

Reply to Spot Or Spread? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen