Search the forum,

Discuss Sos! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can't understand why you would dot metro tiles. ( or any other) it would be near impossible to keep them flat.

The tiles are coming off because the walls have not been primed, then the dispersion adhesive had all the moisture pulled out of it by the wall.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Soak the tiles in water, this should soften the adhesive down then it will be easier to scrape off, they should come up like new, Make sure the next guy that puts them on primes the wall with an acrylic primer or SBR diluted 2 to 1 and trowels the wall with adhesive, not dot and dab the tiles them like the last guy, cement adhesive will always be better that tub ready mix,. How much was the tiler going to charge for the job, he wasn't a property maintenance tiler buy any chance.

O

Old Mod

Probably a time served long standing tta member...
Did u receive a reply?
offtopic-929432.gif

N

Nicky G

Can't understand why you would dot metro tiles. ( or any other) it would be near impossible to keep them flat.

The tiles are coming off because the walls have not been primed, then the dispersion adhesive had all the moisture pulled out of it by the wall.
It seems only a few have been dotted & dabbed which seems a bit random, I wonder if they fell off & he perhaps did that as a bodge it fix...
I've checked other tiles now & they seemed to have fixed much better in other areas. When my plumber took down all the original tiling, it pulled down some of the wall surface, leaving the old lath & plaster frame exposed. The tiler then used a gyproc drywall bonding adhesive to fill that in & he tiles straight onto that. That seems to be where the problem is worst

image.jpeg

N

Nicky G

Soak the tiles in water, this should soften the adhesive down then it will be easier to scrape off, they should come up like new, Make sure the next guy that puts them on primes the wall with an acrylic primer or SBR diluted 2 to 1 and trowels the wall with adhesive, not dot and dab the tiles them like the last guy, cement adhesive will always be better that tub ready mix,. How much was the tiler going to charge for the job, he wasn't a property maintenance tiler buy any chance.
Thanks for the tips, I will definitely do that. I bought him a BAL SBR primer but that's sitting unopened next to the grout bags. He was charging £*** & said 2.5 days. It's about 14 sq m of walls & 2.5 sq m of floor. He's a carpenter by trade but swore he knew what he was doing when I asked if this is something he's competent with

Sorry prices not allowed in public forum
Not to worry tho, but had to be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sos! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen