Search the forum,

Discuss Slate job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Rowell

Ignore the comments about ripping customers off - everyone has a first job in a different type of tile, knowing slate is not your usual type of tile you've been wise to seek advice before hand, that's sensible! My first slate Job was 95sqm of uncalibrated slate and I used a 4" grinder for it all, I was advised by a guy who only works with stone to not use a wet cutter unless plan on leaving all the cuts to dry out as shouldn't lay them wet, it was dusty as hell but turned out well haha! Remember to work clean whipe any mess off as soon as any touches the slate as it will stain and I'm sure you know to seal it before grout etc?

Cheers stocks top man:hurray: Ive got flexible adhesive, primer, grout and yeah i got a sealer for slate Ill take my time and wipe as i go. So come to grouting what would you suggest method wise if the tile stains? Or will it be sound if i keep it clean?

D

Dougs Third Go

Another so called tiler taking money of a customer for a job he is clearly hasn't a clue how to do
times have moved on, we can either get stuck in the old ways of speaking when we're spoken to..or we can ask online, if we can steer OP to achieving a satisfactory result is that not a result in itself?

S

Stocks Tiles

Primer the floor, lay the slate keeping it clean, wash the slate when finished so it's all clean, wait till 100% dry then seal, leave it on for around 20 minutes then whipe the excess off with a clean towel/cloth which doesn't contain fluff lol (try do this end of the day) then grout the next day, make sure it's all clean again and seal again, slates very time consuming but get that first seal on as soon as possible as we all know customers can make mistakes, like cleaning a leather sofa with detol cleaner when told to stay off...! Lol.

D

David Rowell

Primer the floor, lay the slate keeping it clean, wash the slate when finished so it's all clean, wait till 100% dry then seal, leave it on for around 20 minutes then whipe the excess off with a clean towel/cloth which doesn't contain fluff lol (try do this end of the day) then grout the next day, make sure it's all clean again and seal again, slates very time consuming but get that first seal on as soon as possible as we all know customers can make mistakes, like cleaning a leather sofa with detol cleaner when told to stay off...! Lol.

thanks very much stocks:thumbsup: seal before grouting or after washed down?

S

Stocks Tiles

Seal slate twice, once before grout and again after grouting

Tile - wash and let dry - seal - grout - wash and dry - seal again - get paid :)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
One of my first jobs as an apprentice when I was 17 was grouting a slate floor. I started with the skirts and did the top edge with my fingers because I knew no better. Every finger bled by the end of day!

D

David Rowell

20150314_115832.jpg 20150314_120012.jpg 20150314_123311.jpg 20150314_141606.jpg 20150314_164329.jpg 20150314_182344.jpg

So a big thanks to everyones input to the questions i had. I attended the job thinking the slate was all the same dimensions as the two the guy showed me were very similar. However I was sadly mistaking and found myself thrown in the deep end lol cutting most tiles into shape. The customer was thrilled and has offered me back to nake a cabinet for then so happy days.

Again cheers everybody all your input was much appreciated :hurray:

D

David Rowell

Are they calibrated or uncalibrated slate?

Scratch my reply and note to self always check the packs not just 1 or 2 tiles before you price. They were un calibrated not only in thickness but some of them wasnt even square. Had to cut with angle grinder

Reply to Slate job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen