Search the forum,

Discuss Slate job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Your brave coming to this area. Surprised you didn't get your wheels pinched lol.

S

Sean SML Tiling

That's quite a drive from me but hey Ho you still visited the beautiful part of Britain

D

David Rowell

That's quite a drive from me but hey Ho you still visited the beautiful part of Britain

Quick question sean if you wouldnt mind. Ive seen a bal ready mix adhesive in topps green lid. When is it sound to use the ready mixed stuff or not?

S

Sean SML Tiling

Bal green star. It's ok but I very rarely I use it as the cement adhesive is much better as it don't break down. Best thing for you to do is spread some tub addy on a tile which is not being fixed and leave it for a week. Then stick it in some water over night then use a scraper to remove it. It will come off in seconds so if there is any moisture behind the tile due to a leak then the adhesive will become sloppy. Also tub gear won't dry if over a certain thickness or size tile unlike the cement based. Even a splash back where u want to be finished in a day the adhesive will takes months to dry or may never dry as your grouting same day.

D

David Rowell

Bal green star. It's ok but I very rarely I use it as the cement adhesive is much better as it don't break down. Best thing for you to do is spread some tub addy on a tile which is not being fixed and leave it for a week. Then stick it in some water over night then use a scraper to remove it. It will come off in seconds so if there is any moisture behind the tile due to a leak then the adhesive will become sloppy. Also tub gear won't dry if over a certain thickness or size tile unlike the cement based. Even a splash back where u want to be finished in a day the adhesive will takes months to dry or may never dry as your grouting same day.

Every days a learning day. Ive some evo addy and grout in the garage ill give it a go. So if im doing say a splash back and want to finish in a day, by using the bagged addy this is possible as its goes off chemically rather than relying on evaporation?

S

Stocks Tiles

I don't use ready mixed adhesive anymore, I only use powder and as Sean said it doesn't go hard! And in all fairness, the cost difference isn't much as a 20kg bag mixes nearly 2 x 15L tubs. The mixed adhesive goes off very quick on walls, give it 10 minutes and you try get that tile off :)

S

Sean SML Tiling

Every days a learning day. Ive some evo addy and grout in the garage ill give it a go. So if im doing say a splash back and want to finish in a day, by using the bagged addy this is possible as its goes off chemically rather than relying on evaporation?
Yes. Only ever time I will use tub gear is if I'm running short on buckets lol. I recently done my mates bathroom in tub gear but I was able to leave it 2 weeks before grouting as he wasn't living there.

D

Dash J

Don't think this can be said of white star,it's a ******* to get off
kitchen splash back is only time I use tubbed

Reply to Slate job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen