Search the forum,

Discuss Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

On that stuff two coasts of Multi Surface Primer (treat the aluminium as a tile surface) would be appropriate?
I'm not going to generalise Mark as this is such a delicate system when all said and done, so check with the manufacturer that it meets the requirements.
Not all primers are suitable.

O

Old Mod

In the main Andy there's a fairly standard way of dealing with them now, it's taken a while, but most agree now.
Manufacturers and adhesive companies.
And I say that with trepidation tbh, cos the goal posts get moved a lot.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The calcium hydroxide aluminium reaction is fairly basic chemistry. The same thing happens when you put calcium sulphate direct to aluminium. Priming has generally proven to be ineffective in preventing the reaction so the best thing js to avoid it altogether by either not using aluminium or putting a slip membrane down first.

O

Old Mod

The calcium hydroxide aluminium reaction is fairly basic chemistry. The same thing happens when you put calcium sulphate direct to aluminium. .

So using an anhydride screed over aluminium would result in the same reaction Alan yeah?

So would that translate in to any anhydride suitable products like Anhyfix adhesive, or Anhylevel have the same reaction? Just trying to clarify.

Priming has generally proven to be ineffective in preventing the reaction

I know you know you're correct, but we can definitely confirm that, through our research we found that a lot of priming methods were ineffective.

Any further info would be helpful Alan, thanks.

D

Dumbo

Typical companies releasing products onto market without proper research or testing just to make money and leaving end user to clear up the mess .

Reply to Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen