Discuss Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Asc

I have underfloor heating and a concrete floor. I cleaned the floor then PVAd it. I followed instructions on the bag of adhesive (cement based, highly polymer, modified, thin bed tile adhesive) The underfloor heating was turned off in advance. It was tiled using the trowel which was advised on the instructions from the adhesive bag (6mm square notched trowel). After around 10 days we heard some cracks and bangs but did not realise what this was. We turned the underfloor heating on, at the lowest setting after two weeks and we continued to hear cracks and bangs - we discovered that this was the tiles letting go. We have had to lift the whole floor, the tiles have come up with no effort at all. There is no adhesive stuck to the tiles (38m2 of 600 x 600 porcelain tiles) but it is stuck well to the floor. We have spent days taking the adhesive up with a hammer drill. On inspecting the granite tiles in the bathroom today they have also done the same and we are also going to have to take all these up and remove the adhesive from the floor.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

The tiles appear to be quite powdery on the back - could it be this?

Or is it a problem with the adhesive?

Or something else we've done?

We have recently laid tiles ceramic tiles upstairs using different adhesive and have had no problems at all. (Although there is no UF heating there)

Would it help to clean then PVA the backs of the tiles before trying to lay them again?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

W

White Room

Don't use pva it has no place in tiling as there better products out there....what was the make of adhesive you used.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To be fair to the op, even using the dreaded pva. The problem had been detachment from the tiles!
We need to know what make of adhesive, fast or standard set, how was it mixed, what are the tiles, were they back buttered, was the screed tested for moisture, what type of screed is it?
And could you post some pictures.
Thanks

B

Bill

PVA would not cause any harm to the adhesive - it may stop the adhesive debonding. Are you sure it was PVA and not another primer supplied by the tile shop?

Adhesive not sticking to the tiles is caused by the wrong adhesive being used for the type of tile.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Should of used an acrylic primer.

Was the ufh commissioned before tiling
How long after tiling did you turn the ufh on .....and how did you turn the ufh on for the first time....did you just crank it up ?

A

Asc

The tiles were not back buttered - should they have been?

It's a solid concrete floor which has been in for four years - the underfloor heating went in at this time and was turned on Dec 2015, it was only turned off to tile.

We turned it on at the lowest setting after two weeks.

The tiles are porcelain.

They are very powdery on the back - could it be this?

What adhesive would you recommend?

B

Bill

I think you need to get your tiler back and start negotiations with the shop from where you bought the products.

It is too difficult to assess online.

Reply to Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks