Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Ok so let's put records straight!

@Paul C. Has not made any comments that could be deemed as malicious toward anyone.
In all honesty, I'd imagine it was made because of a lack of concentration on his part and not the company that employs him.
And said WITHOUT prejudice, of this I am certain.
There was nothing underhand, this just was not the platform for his response.
Noting more, nothing less!
It was done publicly because the post had been up a while and we have no way of knowing who had already read it.

J

J Sid

Just because the adhesive says its suitable for ufh and porcelain we don't know if its not a bad batch or out of date.
To me it sounds like the wrong size trowel and not back buttered and possibly dry or skinning over of spread adhesive

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Just because the adhesive says its suitable for ufh and porcelain we don't know if its not a bad batch or out of date.
To me it sounds like the wrong size trowel and not back buttered and possibly dry or skinning over of spread adhesive
No adhesive on the back of the tile!.....wrong adhesive, fixing method and skinning over whilst fixing - ( not good )

A

Asc

Thanks everyone for replying and helping me figure out what to do next!

We started with a 6mm trowel but realised this wasn't enough so we got a 10mm trowel which we laid the same tiles in a small room with and the bathroom tiles but these have also come unstuck.

We were advised not to back butter the tiles but would it be better if they were back buttered?

I'm currently cleaning the backs of all the tiles as they are still very powdery in case this is the issue. (The powder was on the tiles before they were fitted) Would it help to seal the backs of the tiles with some kind of sealer?

Can anyone advise me which adhesive I should buy and what I should seal the floor with? I've always used pva just to stop any dust etc coming up off the floor

Thanks again for all the replies

W

White Room

The trouble with some tiles they can have a deep profile on back, I've seen 2mm before so that's why you back skim to level out the surface.

Back buttering is a deeper version, if the floor has a variation in depth, adhesive is what's available in your area but plenty of good adhesive out there Tilemaster, Ultra/Granfix, the latter are the same manufacturer....bal if your feeling flush.

No need to seal the back of the tile, if there that dusty a damp cloth will sort that out.

If you've already sealed the floor with pva a good wash with water will soften and scrape up, sbr would be my choice to seal the floor...thinned to a 3/1 with water.

S

Spare Tool

Thanks everyone for replying and helping me figure out what to do next!

We started with a 6mm trowel but realised this wasn't enough so we got a 10mm trowel which we laid the same tiles in a small room with and the bathroom tiles but these have also come unstuck.

We were advised not to back butter the tiles but would it be better if they were back buttered?

I'm currently cleaning the backs of all the tiles as they are still very powdery in case this is the issue. (The powder was on the tiles before they were fitted) Would it help to seal the backs of the tiles with some kind of sealer?

Can anyone advise me which adhesive I should buy and what I should seal the floor with? I've always used pva just to stop any dust etc coming up off the floor

Thanks again for all the replies
Was reading this thread at lunchtime,have always back skimmed every tile I fit, just do it automatically so thought id try a little experiment...pic is two same ceramic 250x400 wall tiles, one skimmed one not, same 8mm trowel, same pressure applied on fixing...whoever advised you not to butter tiles was a fool!!
WP_20160218_12_23_32_Pro.jpg

A

Asc

Hi guys thanks for all comments and help and yes that shows very well that back buttering is a must thanks.

What's your views on Weber.set rapid spf I'm very restricted to what I can get as to where I live so is this stuff worth using

O

On one

Weber spf is good gear imo. I'm not keen on their set plus with porcelain though.
I know what you mean about the Set Plus.......I use it,but.......it takes way too long to set and cleans off the tools way too easy.

H

hmtiling

I know what you mean about the Set Plus.......I use it,but.......it takes way too long to set and cleans off the tools way too easy.
I'll only use it with ceramics. Had to replace a couple of porcelain floor tiles and the bond strength just didn't seem to be there.

F

Flintstone

My guess is dusty back of tiles, incorrectly mixed adhesive and probably left on too long and skinned over, then Ufh on full blast from the start.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Reply to Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks