Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tiled kitchen floor - cracking after 2 days in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain tiles).
I think there is movement and cracking/crumbling grout in some of the tiles. I supplied the tiles and the grout. The tiler supplied everything else including the adhesive. I think he’s used the incorrect adhesive but I just want your opinions and advice on what to do. He’s coming back to look tomorrow (and has already suggested in a text that it sounds like it hasn’t
bonded right).

He used mapei fast set adhesive (I know as I cleared the rubbish once done). I looked at the bag and it says for ceramic tiles. Mine are porcelain. Is this the likely issue with my movement and cracking/crumbling grout? Does the whole tiling job need re-doing? Should the tiler fix the issues at no extra cost to me? Is it a big job?

Reaction score

Attachments

• 6B4D5661-275E-4C72-8A67-8150D1AC315C.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
Oh dear , wrong adhesive used. Needs to be min s1 flexible.. also is the ply he used min thickness stated in bs5385.
:-( thanks for confirming my suspicions. I’ll
ask about the ply tomorrow when he comes to look.

Does the whole thing need re-doing or could he get away with re-doing the area that I seem to be having problems with? (I think I know the answer, I just don’t want to hear it).

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Does this person advertise as a professional tiler? or are they an oddjob/handy person? It is odd that they don't know what materials to use.

Reply to Porcelain tiled kitchen floor - cracking after 2 days in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen