Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie here with the usual set of questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JohnFish

Hi all,

I am sure most of you have come across similar posts before but I have some quick questions about my first tiling job.

I am looking to tile my bathroom floor. its a very small bathroom (about 2x2m) and it currently has some kind of vinyl self-adhesive flooring. Below that i think its chipboard. I plan to use are 330x330mm ceramic tiles. So:

1) Can i tile on top of the vinyl flooring? I guess no but just wanted to confirm as well.
2) Apart from a tile cutter and a trowel are there any other tools I should have?
3) What about the things already in the bathroom (bath, sink etc). Should they be removed first?
4) On the edge of each wall there is a skirting board. Should I remove that before tiling?
5) What about sealing the edges? Is that required and if so should it be done after the tiling process is finished?
6) What kind of adhesive should I use on the floors and should I use some kind of an underlay or primer before starting?

Thanks in advance

D

DHTiling

Hello john and welcome to tilers forums.........nice post this should get a few replys...

B

brian c

1. NO dONT TILE ONTO VINYL

2. NIPPERS,SPONGES,LEVEL,GROUT FLOAT,4MM SPACERS,PENCIL,MEASURING TAPE,BUCKETS.

3. REMOVE SANITARY WARE,MAKES LIFE EASIER.

4. DONT NEED TO SEAL CERAMIC TILES.

5. CHIPBOARD FLOOR-USE TWO PART FLEXI ADHESIVE AND FLEXI GROUT.

CONCRETE FLOOR-USE RAPID SET

CHECK WITH ADHESIVE MANUFACTURER WHETHER OR NOT TO PRIME CHIPBOARD.

PRIME CONCRET FLOOR -KEEPS DUST DOWN ASWELL AS ENSURING A GOOD BOND FOR THE ADHESIVE.

J

JohnFish

5. CHIPBOARD FLOOR-USE TWO PART FLEXI ADHESIVE AND FLEXI GROUT.

Any recommendations as far as this is concerned? I have seen that the bal stuff are recommended a lot in these forums but seem awfully expensive :S

J

JohnFish

Hello john and welcome to tilers forums.........nice post this should get a few replys...

Thanks :). Just realised that this thread was moved to "new members say hi here". Is there any reason for that? The preparation forum seemed like the right place. but maybe i missed soemthing :grin:

D

DHTiling

Hi john it was moved due to thread header for one and it was your first post and the questions were not all on adhesive grout and prep..........

So i thought the new members was a good place to get more replys........ I meant to send you a pm saying i did this but got side tracked....:)

Reply to Newbie here with the usual set of questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
I have a small 2br on slab 1950’s originally had 9” vinyl tiles and dark brown/ black adhesive...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen