Currently reading:
Newbie here with the usual set of questions

Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie here with the usual set of questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JohnFish

Hi all,

I am sure most of you have come across similar posts before but I have some quick questions about my first tiling job.

I am looking to tile my bathroom floor. its a very small bathroom (about 2x2m) and it currently has some kind of vinyl self-adhesive flooring. Below that i think its chipboard. I plan to use are 330x330mm ceramic tiles. So:

1) Can i tile on top of the vinyl flooring? I guess no but just wanted to confirm as well.
2) Apart from a tile cutter and a trowel are there any other tools I should have?
3) What about the things already in the bathroom (bath, sink etc). Should they be removed first?
4) On the edge of each wall there is a skirting board. Should I remove that before tiling?
5) What about sealing the edges? Is that required and if so should it be done after the tiling process is finished?
6) What kind of adhesive should I use on the floors and should I use some kind of an underlay or primer before starting?

Thanks in advance

B

brian c

1. NO dONT TILE ONTO VINYL

2. NIPPERS,SPONGES,LEVEL,GROUT FLOAT,4MM SPACERS,PENCIL,MEASURING TAPE,BUCKETS.

3. REMOVE SANITARY WARE,MAKES LIFE EASIER.

4. DONT NEED TO SEAL CERAMIC TILES.

5. CHIPBOARD FLOOR-USE TWO PART FLEXI ADHESIVE AND FLEXI GROUT.

CONCRETE FLOOR-USE RAPID SET

CHECK WITH ADHESIVE MANUFACTURER WHETHER OR NOT TO PRIME CHIPBOARD.

PRIME CONCRET FLOOR -KEEPS DUST DOWN ASWELL AS ENSURING A GOOD BOND FOR THE ADHESIVE.

Reply to Newbie here with the usual set of questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.