Discuss New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Jesus @3_fall, you did all that in a day?? That's take me at least a week! Good work....really liking the tiles too.....

EDIT - Ooops, I re-read the post. I guess 3_fall you are saying you did all that with clips, and other fella did his in a day.
Both impressive. How long did yours take 3_fall??

Haha no P4ulo not a day mate, and no not all entirely with clips, and that is part of a 90m2 floor.

It's here in my albums mate.
Porcelain Plank Floor Shepperton

C

Colour Republic

V

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the products purpose (I'll do some research) but tiling being one of the oldest trades we have managed perfectly well without these kind of (dare I say gimmicks)!.

That's a pretty weak arguement

I give you exhibit A
220px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg

Exhibit B
Facom_pump_action_screwdriver.jpg

Exhibit C...
51zKCcNJNrL._SY300_.jpg

To be honest all the things you've said like 'why would a decent tiler need them', 'what about voids under the tile' etc etc where all the things many experienced tilers said on here 5-6 years ago when they first started appearing. Your reaction is completely normal!

I can't find the exact early thread i'm thinking of as I know I too posted those same concerns. But here's a prime example from 2009 - lash clips not for me!

Now fast forward 2 years to 2011 and the same members who wouldn't be seen dead using them have suddenly come round to the idea. -
Lash clips etc Again !

Time and a place for everything and do you know what, I don't think it's killed the trade like some thought it would do and so they are now an acceptable art of the trade for many.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I give you exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C...
51zKCcNJNrL._SY300_.jpg

To be honest all the things you've said like 'why would a decent tiler need them', 'what about voids under the tile' etc etc where all the things many experienced tilers said on here 5-6 years ago when they first started appearing. Your reaction is completely normal!

I can't find the exact early thread i'm thinking of as I know I too posted those same concerns. But here's a prime example from 2009 - lash clips not for me!

Now fast forward 2 years to 2011 and the same members who wouldn't be seen dead using them have suddenly come round to the idea. - lash clips not for me!

Time and a place for everything and do you know what, I don't think it's killed the trade like some thought it would do and so they are now an acceptable art of the trade for many.
well every day the carpenters job has got easy new tools same old wood well you cant say the same about tiling in 20 years how much has the rubi changed or the sigma very little. how much have the tiles changed the substrates and so on .so the best thing for tilling so far has to be yes you guessed it the grinder with a diamond blade .maybe the wet saw but not every day use .lash clips do they improve your skill or take away from it .only time will tell .when the day comes when you cant fix without them how good are you realy .and how do you compare to a diyer using the same .

S

Simon benn Leeds

I give you exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C...
51zKCcNJNrL._SY300_.jpg

Now fast forward 2 years to 2011 and the same members who wouldn't be seen dead using them have suddenly come round to the idea. -
Lash clips etc Again !

Based on the promo video , as a tiler of 20 years there is nothing on the video that makes me feel the urge to rush out and buy this system.

Imo the scenarios of the guy in the video, (I.e small, square, plumb bathrooms think it would slow me down and add unnecessary cost, and make tiling more accessible for the DIY enthusiast, which I think the promo video is geared towards (DIY and plumbers). now having conversations with @_3fall I am of the understanding and in agreement that they CAN be of use to professional tilers in certain applications. But the video does not outline this, it pretty much implies that anyone can tile a bathroom.

If this is going to be a part of tiling progression and the next generation are taught using this method how will they develop skills when the system can not be used?

just my opinions, and I'm sure people who get used to using them cant tile without them ha (no dig intended)? :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never used these but was always of the same thought. And I've said it loads.

But it does seem many use them. And it does appear to help with the huge tiles that are just easier to mess up if one slips it can cause a half hour head ache.

S

Simon benn Leeds

I'm definitely coming round to the idea of the lash clips on large format tiles, I take it there's still an element of bedding up on uneven floors?

As for the Acorn system? Not too sure yet but would be interesting to get feed back from people who have a lot of experience using them..

So I will leave it as NEVER say NEVER!...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My thought was always down the line of, if you're holding a tile up with clips that would otherwise fall/dip, then surely it needs pulling up and more adhesive applying; not holding up until what adhesive is under it sets.

Then add that to the fact large tiles are hard to get full coverage under without extra water in the mix etc and you have loads of chances to end up with voids and whatnot.

But as said; I've not used them and the lads who have do rate them. Especially the wedge type.

C

Ceramic Art Ste

I've used raimondi lash and rubi. There ok to use on large format calibrated tiles on an uneven subfloor. Other than that they add cost to the job and slow you right down. Think there more for diy folk.

Reply to New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay