Discuss New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

First time I've seen these, local supplier has just got them in....anyone tried these.

Leveling Systems and Tile Trims

The Acorn range of Leveling systems and tile trims.

Prolevelling System is a revolutionary and innovative levelling system when laying medium and large materials with a thickness between 3 and 40mm

The patented system is made of two elements:

A levelling base (2-3 mm size) with spaced notches that allow spacing/seperating/joining floors of any type of material in a way that is : linear, cross and half cross with joints to be chosen between 2mm and 3mm.

The threaded stem is attached perpendiclarly to the base in a way that allows for easy adjustment with turns of the cap during installation. Removal of the Cap and Stem after the materials are set is made easy with strategically placed breakage points that release with either increased pressure by turning the cap or by kicking the cap in the direction of the joint. One capo fits all threaded stems and can be reused an infinite amount of times for big cost savings.

The new PPLS (patented) system assists in the reduction or elimination of ledging and lippage in the installation of various types of materials that are applied to floors or walls with mortar including Large Format Tile, Natural Stone, Thin profiles and many others.

Laying System.

1. Choose the desired type of leveller (spacers) based on the requested joints.

2mm or 3mm Linear, Cross or Half Cross Version

2. Apply the thinset or mortar on a level base with the appropriate notched trowel.

3. During the application of the tile position the bae of the chosen leveller under the edge of the tile at the appropriate joint location and continue laying in sequence.

4. Attach the cap to the threaded stem by rotating it clockwise. Level the joint by rotating the sap using the minimum amount of pressure needed.

5. Once the setting materials have become solid and the floor or wall is ready for grout:
Kick the cap, in the direction of the joint to detach connection points between base and stem.

O

Old Mod

That looks interesting Mark, I'll have to try and have a proper look and watch the video!

S

Simon benn Leeds

Don't know how I feel about these!...

My supplier has had something similar in for a while but never took much notice, I think have they designed something that doesn't need designing?. Or are they designed for diy?.

C

Colour Republic

First time I've seen these, local supplier has just got them in....anyone tried these.

Leveling Systems and Tile Trims

That system looks flawed compared to others.

Firstly the base plate of the clips are flat so only really suited to calibrated tiles, where as something like the lash clips have a rocking base plate so can be used with un-calibrated stone for example. Within reason of course.

Then the re-use of screw caps is going to eat in to many a lunch break unscrewing the threads. It's bad enough with the rubi and genesis systems pulling through the ratchet type. I still think the wedge type systems are the quickest and least fuss both in use and collecting up the reusable wedges. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

just watched this vid and seen how a plummer takes 5x longer than a tiler cost 6x more these should be on sale in a pluming shop thats were they belong

That's a bit harsh Ray! He sure fits a lot of tiles for a plumber:D Home Is it the fact he just laid the tiles lightly on the the addy rather than bedding down you didn't like? Or just the fact he was using a leveling system at all?

Like most on here I thought they were a gimmick when they first came out but they certainly have their uses.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

That system looks flawed compared to others.

Firstly the base plate of the clips are flat so only really suited to calibrated tiles, where as something like the lash clips have a rocking base plate so can be used with un-calibrated stone for example. Within reason of course.

Then the re-use of screw caps is going to eat in to many a lunch break unscrewing the threads. It's bad enough with the rubi and genesis systems pulling through the ratchet type. I still think the wedge type systems are the quickest and least fuss both in use and collecting up the reusable wedges. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

That's a bit harsh Ray! He sure fits a lot of tiles for a plumber:D Home Is it the fact he just laid the tiles lightly on the the addy rather than bedding down you didn't like? Or just the fact he was using a leveling system at all?

Like most on here I thought they were a gimmick when they first came out but they certainly have their uses.
yes you are right for some they have a use but come on 600x300 give me a break thats a real way of showing they are diy and whats a lot of tiles 3m2 a day .so take a close look at the vid flat walls looking like a darlike is hiding behind to say exstarmanate .and a 2 m2 floor on flat ply but is using these give me a break .any one here that thinks they can lay this floor faster than me and flatter than me using these is more than welcome to try .diy diy diy all day long .

C

Colour Republic

To be honest i didn't watch it in that much detail Ray.

Looking again I notice 2 things.

1) He has 16.5K subscribers to his channel so i'm guessing the leveling system gave him a load F.O.C. to promote and he's just used them on every job he could to get footage
2) You could say he's a cracking tiler because he's prepared every substrate the best he could before he started and therefore didn't need them in the slightest!

If was going to criticise him for anything it would be his love of using MDF skirting as straight edge which is rarely straight.

Let's be honest these systems don't add much extra time on your average domestic job. What an extra hour or 2 on your average bathroom if that? I waste more time looking for my pencil! I appreciate it does on commercial jobs where you might have 100's of SQM to get stuck in to or multiple bathrooms, then it is going to slow you down.

S

Simon benn Leeds

These are similar to what the sell at my supplier, needless to say I've never bought them.
Not once have I seen them tamp the floor down or check for level, and how are you meant to wash the joints out??
Absolute wast of time effort and money, definitely not a tiler if you you have to use stuff like,
Tiling is a skill you hone over years not a process!..

I agree with @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin i could tile faster than them 3 and labour on myself

DIY, DIY, DIY

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks